Several weeks ago I asked for documented examples of copyright
lawsuits in schools.  It's taken me until now to post a hit, but
here's what I have.  I should first say that most of the responses
were requests for a hit:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Please post a hit if you get any answers. I too am
fighting the battle, and am sick of hearing "but it's
for education - who will care?" Doing something
because it's the right thing doesn't seem to wash
anymore, so I'm looking for something with teeth in it
to impress my teachers. TIA"

"Please do a HIT on this information even if you receive answers
about it being too sensitive.  I think it would do all of us a world
of good if we knew of specific violations."

"I agree with you about the need for specific examples. If you receive
anything useful, would you please send it to me or post a hit? I'm guessing
that few will respond. Usually when schools are faced with lawsuits, staff
are told by attorneys to "say nothing."

"Please post a hit.  I've heard things for years, but they all seem
to be in the realm of urban legends."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There appears to be a real need for these stories.  Carol Simpson is
collecting them at
http://courses.unt.edu/csimpson/cright/copyright_action_data_collection.htm.
This looks like it's going to be a wonderful centralized resource.
If you have specific examples, please send them to her!  As you can
see from the statements above, your information will be helpful to
many people.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I also received three specific stories:  one day care center, one
university, and one senior citizen's club.  However, I didn't receive
any information about K-12 schools.  Two people offered to send me
examples on paper via snail mail, but I have to assume that they
didn't intend to extend that offer to all 14,000 people on this list.
:)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Finally, here's an organization that looks helpful:

"I join AIME (www.aime.org) every year for $150. They send a packet of
copyright information (I even got their video called "Copyright Law: What
every school, college and public library should know") including
documented copyright cases. I have a sheet that lists 5 copyright
violation cases, 4 of which are against schools. They pretty much involve
illegally taped videos. They tell how much money the schools had to pay
($4265 in one case, $10,000 in another). "

Thanks to all who responded ... and please, send those stories in to
Carol Simpson!

Sara Reinders, LMS
Ada Christian School
Ada, Michigan