We don't have those books but I just wondered if this librarian has checked
the reviews on these books?  I'm not suggesting that she censor the
teacher's request or the materials but merely checking to see if she is
familiar with them and how they are being classified--young adult novels or
adult novels?  If she plans to purchase them as a request by a teacher, I
think it would be important that she check the reviews to see if the
teacher realizes how they compare to other titles for young adults in the
same genre.  Perhaps these were books that the teacher has personally read
and believed to be good for use in the classroom but did not know that
there might be others that would be more appropriate to use with students.

Perhaps going through the book reviews with the teacher and discussing the
titles based upon both the reviewer's comments and even her own ideas about
the books might help eleviate the librarian's concerns with any possible
censorship issues that might occur.  In addition, I believe that the
librarian should read these books to become familiar with them. This would
allow both parties to appreciate the material being purchased, or at least
better understand the material and be aware of any objections that might
occur.

If the materials prove to be acceptable purchases in most review sources
and the teacher and librarian agree to place them on the shelves, I don't
see anything wrong with purchasing them for a high school library but I
would definitely make sure that the library had a Reconsideration of
Materials Policy in place for any possible reactions.

Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Librarian

Mary L. Williams Curriculum Materials Library
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, Oklahoma
bshonda@okstate.edu
405-744-9769