------=_NextPart_000_008E_01C08DCA.540FB680

This past week I noticed a fifth grade ALERT (gifted program) student =
spending a lot of time at the catalog monitor.  When I walked by she =
asked which was the publisher on the record she had pulled up.  I =
explained and then noticed a pad on which she seemed to be listing a lot =
of stuff and inquired.  She said her assignment was to make a =
bibliography of ALL of the animal books in our library.  I expressed my =
surprise and said "Are you sure?"  "Oh, yes, she replied.  I asked to =
see the written assignment and she left to get it.  They NEVER bring the =
assignment along for some reason. =20

Darn if she wasn't right. That is what it said.  The teacher had copied =
a page out of one of those teacher helper type books and along with 20 =
or so other activity choices was:

Make a bibliography of all of the animal books both fiction and =
non-fiction in your library.

When I explained that her list could run up to a thousand, at least.  =
She seemed to think this would be ok with her.  I went to the teacher =
and told her that if she needed such a bibliography I could just print =
one out of the automation.  Her answer was to have the student just pick =
something else from the list.

Don't teacher READ their own assignments.  Have you encountered similar. =
 Send me your most ridiculous assignments and I will compose a HIT.

Cheryl Sturgeon
Elem. Library/Media Spec.
Highland Local Schools (OH)
csturgeo@ohio.net

------=_NextPart_000_008E_01C08DCA.540FB680

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>This past week I noticed a fifth grade ALERT (gifted program) =
student=20
spending a lot of time at the catalog monitor.&nbsp; When I walked by =
she asked=20
which was the publisher on the record she had pulled up.&nbsp; I =
explained and=20
then noticed a pad on which she seemed to be listing a lot of stuff and=20
inquired.&nbsp; She said her assignment was to make a bibliography of =
ALL of the=20
animal books in our library.&nbsp; I expressed my surprise and said "Are =
you=20
sure?"&nbsp; "Oh, yes, she replied.&nbsp; I asked to see the written =
assignment=20
and she left to get it.&nbsp; They NEVER bring the assignment along for =
some=20
reason.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Darn if she wasn't right. That is what it said.&nbsp; The teacher =
had=20
copied a page out of one of those teacher helper type books and along =
with 20 or=20
so other activity choices was:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Make a bibliography of all of the animal books both fiction and =
non-fiction=20
in your library.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>When I explained that her list could run up to a thousand, at =
least.&nbsp;=20
She seemed to think this would be ok with her.&nbsp; I went to the =
teacher and=20
told her that if she needed such a bibliography I could just print one =
out of=20
the automation.&nbsp; Her answer was to have the student just pick =
something=20
else from the list.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Don't teacher READ their own assignments.&nbsp; Have you =
encountered=20
similar.&nbsp; Send me your most ridiculous assignments and I will =
compose a=20
HIT.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cheryl Sturgeon<BR>Elem. Library/Media Spec.<BR>Highland Local =
Schools=20
(OH)<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:csturgeo@ohio.net">csturgeo@ohio.net</A></DIV></BODY></HTM=

------=_NextPart_000_008E_01C08DCA.540FB680--