Below are the responses I received to my query:
Does anyone know what "common knowledge" in terms of copyright and citing
sources means? Does it refer to information generally known by the average
person or to information found in most sources and not unique to a specific
source? We are working on a research/copyright/plagiarism guide booklet and
need clarification of the term. We want to define what is meant by the
necessity of citing all information that is not "common knowledge".

Thanks to everyone who offered help.
Sandy
################################

What is common knowledge in copyright terms is not easy to define. Such
things as 2+2=4 is common knowledge. So is the fact that George
Washington was the 1st president of the US or the fact that we have 50
states. In copyright terms, facts can't be copyrighted anyway, only the
expression of those facts if there is some modicum of creativity
therein.

################################

I tell the students that common knowledge is what they find in the general
encyclopedia.

################################

A lot of what you ask varies with the grade you are teaching. But in
general, a student will link together several pieces of information
about their subject from a source. I'd use the rule of thumb that when
they stop with a source, or change paragraphs, they need to cite. If
they got the information from a book, then they need to cite.

################################

My understanding is that common knowledge is basic stuff one would not
necessarily
learn from written sources, e.g., the sun rises in the east.  I would check
MLA or some
other authority, however, rather than rely on our collective "common
knowledge."  You
just might end up with "common opinion" instead.

################################

I may be wrong but I agree with what you are saying.  However, the rule of
thumb I was told in school was that if the information is in at least three
sources (different authors), then it is considered common knowledge.

################################

You may want to try some of the copyright websites for clarification.    My
understanding is that common knowledge refers to things like the 12 inches
on a ruler.    The Library of Congress site linking to copyright is
www.loc.gov and states the following:

"Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and
containing no original authorship (for example: standard calendars, height
and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables"

################################

You're exactly correct.  If an author states something in a writing to
prove his point, but it's something that the average person would know,
the writer using his material soes not need to give credit to him.
However, if the point the author is making is unique, then citing is
necessary- for either a paraphrase or a direct quote.

################################

I just visited Purdue University's Online Writing Lab, OWL.  They suggest
that in "Deciding if something is 'common knowledge'"
It probably is IF:
        "You find the same information undocumented in at least five other
sources.
        You think it is information that your readers will already know.
        You think a person could easily find the information with general
reference
sources."

################################

You more than likely already have your answer, but, if you do not,....
I have been doing some research for our own copyright and plagiarism
standards at CHS and one of the sources that was given to me defines "What
is common knowledge?"
        "Common knowledge:  facts that can be found in numerous places and
are likely to be known by a lot of people
                Example:  John F Kennedy was elected President of the United
States in 1960.
        This is generally known information.  You do not need to document
this fact.  However, you must document facts that are not generally known
and ideas that interpret facts."

(Taken from Plagiarism:  What It Is and How to Recognize and Avoid It;
www.indiana.edu/~wts/plagiarism.html, 3/1/2000.)

Sandra Eichelberger, LMS
West Seneca East Senior High School
West Seneca, NY 14224