I need help desperately.

I am Librarian for 1200 students K-5 inner city school.  I service 56
classes. I have a full time assistant.  I have a small "classroom" off the
library but it is crunched and a favorite place for meetings.  I have 1500
volumes.

Kindergarten and 1st grade classes come once every two weeks (uses 4 days
with 5 classes per day).  Teacher stays with the classes and I use the
library easy section for a story and book exchange.

Problem:
I just met with the administrators regarding lack of library use--at my own
initiative.

We have Accelerated Reader for grades 2-5.

No one brings their class in for library research or skills.  Only 2 or 3
teachers approach me to request library skills.  I sent a notice to all the
2nd grades for a 4 lesson sequence--and only 1 answered.

If I schedule 2nd grades in a regular times, it would take another day and a
half now using 5 1/2 to 6 days out of a 10 day cycle (once every two weeks).

I still have to service 23 more classes grades 3, 4 & 5 along with AR.  How
can I work this out?

Should I just be content with the classes that respond to my efforts--or be
concerned about fairness--every child should know how to use the library.
Obvious answer--NOT!

With 32 classes using accelerated reader--an hour every day won't be enough
to service all the students.  Right now, students can come at any time of
the day.

But it sure gets rough and noisy when I am teaching a hands on lesson in the
library when other students are exchanging AR books.

In the teachers defense, we are struggling to help the studnets pass the new
New York State tests.  They are innundated with paperwork.
--
I need some serious help and guidance.

Joan Rausch, Librarian
John James Audubon School #33