Wow. I just read your post, and I really feel for you.

My situation is not so dire, but I see similarities. In our profession,
we are pushed so hard to collaborate (and I unreservedly support that
concept), but the consuming reality of serving young children and
managing our facility and programs in the way we also wish to do leaves
us little time to do more than invite teachers in with all the
enthusiasm we can muster via notes, emails, etc. Sure, it's better and
more persuasive to go to them, seek them out, camp on their doorstep
with stacks of custom-chosen resources, but how much can one person do?
At what point will anyone (besides us) consider the LMC personnel
issues?

Meanwhile though, as you point out, teachers are becoming more and more
tunnel-visioned about high-stakes testing. And while we LMS's are
convinced by the studies that say libraries have direct impact on
student achievement, the correlation is often just not direct enough for
those panicked teachers looking for a magic bullet.

When it comes to working with teachers, I have this image of myself
being pushed and pushed toward a target that continues to recede. It's
terribly frustrating. At my school, I'm pushing hard for more staff (I
have only a part-time clerk). And I believe what they tell us about
starting with one person and building from there - I pester my principal
daily.

Keep doing your best. It's good work you're doing.

Ellen Gadberry, LMS and AR/RR Coordinator
Kingsley Charter School (PK-5)
Atlanta, GA