I currently have a dedicated group who play magic during lunch. They are
quiet (somewhat) and involved with each other as well as other students.
When I listen in they are talking the game. If I ask a question they
interact. In previous years, the game group often moved on by the end of
the year.

I see no problem with the game. I have more of a  problem with some of th=
other students who are loners and don't interact with anyone at lunch.

I read over the winter break "Failure to Connect" which reemphasizes the
need for children to "learn" to be creative especially in an age where TV=
,
Video Games, software and web sites offer "canned" imagination.  In using=

software I notice students spending time finding the right premade
background scene and clip art rather than truly being creative.  In that
light I thought the comment from a previous post   "I find that these gam=
es
are so involved that you need to be thinking and using your imagination a=
ll
the time,
even if it is to think of a strategy for winning the game. " to be
interesting.  Perhaps we need to encourage the use of their imagination
rather than ban it.

My two cents

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School