Happy New Year everyone!

Just thought I would join in the discussion about the number of digits in a
Dewey number for primary school kids because I don't believe that there
should be a hard and fast rule.  It depends on what makes sense. So if a
book needs one number (dinosaurs 567.9) then that is fine, but if it needs
more (Australian birds 598.994) then use all three.

I have actually divided our non fiction section into as many sectors as I
could (based on Dewey) and divided these with plastic index blocks that
have the number, the subject and a little picture on them.  The increase in
use, independent searching and correct reshelving has been dramatic because
the kids actually find it easier.  For instance in 796.3 (which is ball
games) rather than have everything all in together, I have sections for
football, soccer, cricket, baseball, basketball, tennis, hockey and so on
each with the correct Dewey number.

I have also made mini mobiles by stringing cheap doodads with fishing line
and hung these over the most popular sections so even the very youngest can
find the books.  For instance above the dinosaur section are plastic
dinosaurs with a label and above the music are some little musical
instruments. The end of each set of shelves is also labelled with the
appropriate numbers.... any way I can think of to make the process simpler,
independent and more successful for the kids.

Now, back to the beach .....

Cheers
Barbara

Barbara Braxton