Thanks to all of you who responded. Here are the responses I received for female
biographies, especially of inventors, scientists, or leaders. They are great!!

Anne Dilworth, teacher
Live Oak Elementary
Round Rock ISD
Austin, TX
Anne_Dilworth@roundrockisd.org

http://www.stemnet.nf.ca/CITE/inventorsfemale.htm

http://www.inventions.org/culture/female/

http://www.inventorsmuseum.com/

http://www.wic.org/

http://www.inventorsmuseum.com/women.htm

http://www.inventorsmuseum.com/museum_map.htm

http://www.inventorsmuseum.com/womenmap.htm

http://www.s9.com/biography/

http://connectedteacher.classroom.com/library/results.asp?dir=1211

links to best of the web in social studies

http://www.yahooligans.com/

http://www.hillsdaleschools.com, scroll down to the
media center site, and look for "Special feature"- let
me know if you find it useful- it was actually my
homewrok for a Rutgers online course I took this past
semester)Grace

Biography.com
http://www.biography.com/

Distinguished Women of Past and Present
http://www.DistinguishedWomen.com/

Hi. We have a site called the "Surf Report" which your students can use. We
always try to include sites on women and minorities and several of the
topics have links that should help you:
 http://www.ecb.org/surf and go to any of these topics in the archives:

Women's History Links has many biographies of women, including minorities
http://www.ecb.org/surf/women.htm

Black History Links has biographies of many African Americans
http://www.ecb.org/surf/blackhis.htm

Explorers covers has information about women and minority explorers (NASA
has a good site which is included in this list)
http://www.ecb.org/surf/explore.htm

Music has some links to biographies of women composers
http://www.ecb.org/surf/music.htm

There are also links to women in US History links in our "Tracks:
Impressions of America" site (this is organized by era). I know there are
some at least on these two pages: http://www.ecb.org/tracks

Independence (women in the Revolution)
http://www.ecb.org/tracks/mod5.htm

The Urbanization of America (scroll down to inventors, try the Inventors
Hall of Fame)
http://www.ecb.org/tracks/mod9.htm

Links there are some other links pages about distinguised Americans
http://www.ecb.org/tracks/links.htm

Try our biography page at http://lps.lexingtonma.org/Libdept/elem.html#gref

Lives, the Biography Resource     http://amillionlives.com/

Multnomah County Library Homework Center Biography Links
http://www.multnomah.lib.or.us/lib/homework/biohc.html

Virtual LRC Biography Sources http://www.virtuallrc.com/biography.html

The Time 100    http://www.time.com/time100

Infoplease.com:Biography  http://www.infoplease.com/people.html

Forbes 400 Richest People in America
http://www.forbes.com/tool/toolbox/rich400

WIC (Women's International Center) Biography Index
http://www.wic.org/bio/index_bio (NOTE: underscore after the "X" in "index")
When it comes to print biographies, I recommend the following picture books.
Unless otherwise mentioned, these are fictionalized biographies*:

The Ballot Box Battle by Emily Arnold McCully. Knopf 1996.  Biographical
Fiction based on the life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton who inspires a
(fictional) girl to become a suffragette.

The Bobbin Girl by Emily Arnold McCully. Dial 1996.  Biographical Fiction
based on the life of Harriet Robinson who worked in a textile mill in Lowell,
Mass., at the time of the first workers' strike,1834.

Eleanor Everywhere: The Life of Eleanor Roosevelt by Monica Kulling. Random
House 1999. (Step Into Reading, Step 4).

Kate Shelley and the Midnight Express by Margaret K. Wetterer. Carolrhoda
1990.  In a great storm in 1881, Kate saved a train from falling through a
broken bridge.

Minty: A Story of Young Harriet Tubman by Alan Schroeder. Dial 1996. Story of
the African American that saved slaves through the Underground Railroad.
Illustrated by Jerry Pinkney.

Molly Bannaky by Alice McGill. Houghton Mifflin 1999. Molly, an indentured
servant exiled to the American colonies. She bought, freed and married a
black slave, Bannaky, and was the grandmother of the scientist, Benjamin
Banneker who corresponded with Thomas Jefferson.

Rosa Parks by Eloise Greenfield. Harper 1996.  Fictionalized biography of the
African American woman who integrated bus travel in Montgomery AL.

The Secret Soldier : the story of Deborah Sampson by Ann McGovern. Scholastic
1975. An old title, but still good.  Sampson fought in the American
Revolution.

Sky Pioneer: A Photobiography of Amelia Earhart by Corinne Szabo. National
Geographic 1997.

The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles. Scholastic 1995. Fictionalized
biography of an African American first grader who integrates a white school
by herself.

Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph Became the World's Fastest Woman by
Kathleen Krull. Harcourt 1996.  Fictionalized Biography of an African
American Olympic runner who was a cripple as a child.

Zora Hurston and the Chinaberry Tree by William Miller. Lee & Low Books 1994.
Hurston was a courageous African American writer, born 1891.

Also, I suggest you get the print paper catalog from Permabound
(800-637-6581) where there are a few more titles I don't know under the
heading "Biographies: Women, K-3".  I don't recommend the boring biographies
published by Troll.