On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Earl J. Moniz wrote:

> If we concentrate on the final objective of teaching students to read
> and also to give them the opportunity to practice their reading skills
> in order to make them lifelong readers and learners, I believe we could
> all agree that it doesn't matter where they get their encouragement...

I agree for the most part, or so I think :) In my previous district,
we sought and received additional funding to help improve/build
classroom collections. I did the "collection development" with lots
of input from individual teachers. I saw no threat or conflict in
having quality collections in the individual classrooms.

My biggest concern was with funding. I hadn't enough money to call my
own to maintain the library collection as it should be maintained let
alone providing quality collections in each of 20 or so classrooms.

The additional funding we did enjoy came from the $ earmarked for
purchasing reading textbooks and support materials, this because
the teachers said it was a priority for them. That portion of the
$ was directed elsewhere after two years.

"Obscenity and hate speech alike only become free speech issues when their
foes turn from censure to censorship. When we decided to let a thousand
flowers bloom, we always knew that some of them would be weeds."
                -- Henry Louis Gates Jr., educator, c. 1990
J. Rathbun, Library Teacher
Lincoln E.S., North Las Vegas
Email: jrathbun@orednet.org