Since my post, several other "states" have replied.

I was out of town for the original post, but NC also has online databases
for schools.  The state funds Grolier encyclopedia, Infotrac, Compton's
encyclopedia, a newspaper database, and several online professional
periodicals.  It started last year and has been GREAT

Vicki, I never saw your original post, but Illinois offers the following
through its state library:
16 databases from OCLC FirstSearch, which include WilsonSelect and PerAbs
Newsbank Illinois
NoveList (wonderful database for book reviews)
(in its infancy) Encyclopedia of Life Sciences

Additionally, through the board of education, school libraries have no-cost
access to Electric Library and several professional development sites.

Last spring librarires were also offered the opportunity to join the
Missouri Library Consortium for $40 and get access through this at low-cost
access to Grove Dictionary of Art, McGraw-Hill Access Science, american
National Biography, Oxford English Dictionary.

All of these but 2 (I believe) also offer at-home access with a user name
and password.

Don't know if you'll post an update, but Delaware has had a statewide online
database project for high schools and middle schools for 3+ years,
administered through the University of Delaware.  It includes many Gale
databases, three encyclopedias, SIRS, and Infotrac.
http://www2.lib.udel.edu/udlib-srch/dbases.htm

I'm sorry if I did not see your target in the first place and I'm surprised
that no one from Georgia got in touch. We have GALILEO, an online database
that is free to all citizens of the state through their public libraries. It
is also funded by the DOE for all private school libraries. I cannot say
enough about this wonderful tool. Our students have access to periodicals
databases, academic dissertations, business news, Books in Print, newspaper
indices from around the globe, plus so much more than I could mention in an
email. I have my computers set so that when a student goes to the Internet,
GALILEO is the home page they see first. What a joy to know that my
students, and anyone else in Georgia, can access accurate, current, and
relevant information with a click of the mouse. We are truly fortunate here!

We have the Alabama Virtual Library (AVL) which offers a number of databases
ie SIRS, Electric Library, Ebsco, Proquest, GALE etc.

I subscribe to the LM-Net digest, and saw your hit on state online
subscriptions.  Sorry Ohio wasn't on the list. Go to www.infohio.org
We have a database of periodicals from ProQuest (now Bigchalk) of 200+
periodicals, American National Biography, SIRS Discoverer and a few others.

We certainly wish there were more!  We also have a Jan-Mar preview from
vendors on a listing of databases that have some reduced group pricing for
individual districts/schools to purchase.  There are also several
organizations that supplement the state purchases by going after their own
group purchase price.

Vicki Sherouse, Librarian
Sentinel High School
Missoula, Montana