Thanks to all of you who wrote about choosing books.  I appreciated all of
your comments, especially about the books I recently read.  Here are your
reponses without your names-I did not post those who also reponded to the
listserv. This is the first time I have posted a hit-I hope it is correct
and apologize if I was supposed to include names.
Terry Markulin, Librarian
Canfield Village Middle School
50 Wadsworth Street
Canfield, OH 44406
canf_mt@access-k12.org

I can tell you this much, I will be reading all books that are asked for by
teachers.  When I buy books, I rely on reviews and read the ones that I
feel
need to be read before going on the shelf.  But, in my evaluation this year
it was brought up that I need to read the books before they are put into
circulation.  We had two books that were questioned.  I am using this as a
reason to read on the job though.  I read books at home all the time for
work
purposes, now I will be reading in my office from time to time.

That's a great question and one, I believe, that has no perfect answer.
I've been at the high school and jr./middle school levels for 27 years and
still come up with questions of my own.
My bottom line is that I try to go with my instincts about the overall
"goodness" of the book (sorry about the value-laden words--their use is
unavoidable, I believe). If I believe that a book's overall message is
going to be goodness enhancing or worthwhile provocative OR pure
entertainment (or any combination of those), and doesn't trash the
planet/any group of living things for anarchistic/nihilistic/narcisstic
reasons, I almost always go with the author and put it on the shelves. I
know that many of us have been bitten from time to time for those
judgments, but I have to hope that in the end, good will prevail. (I may be
feeling a little more optimistic than usual this morning...vacation will do
that...I'm not always so hopeful about the human species...) Yes, language
and sexual content occasionally mitigate and I sometimes pass a title on to
a higher level (I'm now "descending" back to the jr. high level from high
school--my choice--and may find that I shrink "back" a bit--my district
tends to be somewhat conservative, though we librarians have had pretty
good luck/support over the years about our selection criteria, but who
knows how much of that is due to self-censorship?--but I digress...) A
friend who teaches 6th grade block in a neighboring district recently said
how careful she is about recommending Philip Pullman's GOLDEN COMPASS to
her students because of its perceivable anti-Christian subplots and I was
shocked, both because she is extremely open-minded  and teaches in a fairly
broad-minded, almost hippie throwback community. Maybe I'm deluding myself,
but it seems to me that we owe a huge obligation to our WHOLE community,
not just to those who would censor right and left , and for the moment, at
least, I'll probably err on the side of throwing caution to the winds. (I
do perk up, however, when I hear such a reservation voiced by someone for
whom I have a high professional and personal opinion...)
Just one opinion! Hope you post a hit if you get some good feedback. Thanks
for asking the question; made me think outside my vacation box a bit!

Hi, such an interesting thread. I work in a K-8 building, so purchasing for
me
poses many problems. I purchased Stuck in Neutral on the recommendation of
the
young adult public librarian. She raved about it. I find myself torn between
wondering if I should have purchased it and knowing that it is a book that
would be great discussion for 7th and 8th graders. It does give the reader
alot
to think about and since we have physically challenged students in our
school,
it is quite meaningful. I am curious to see who chooses to read it....

I'm in a grade 6-8 school, but spent 6 years in a grade 1-5
school. There will always be books that will be inappropriate for younger
students regardless of what level you're at. Last year was my first year at
the middle school level. I knew that I needed to purchase books ranging
from grades 5-9 in order to address reading levels of our grades 6-8
students.

When 6th grade students came in for orientation during the first week, I
told them that they might find out that a book that they checked out made
them uncomfortable. They needed to remember that I was buying books for 8
th grade students as well, students who were ready for books with more
mature themes. If the 6th graders were unhappy with their choices, they
should simply return the book(s) and select something else. There's a huge
difference in maturity level even in students on any one grade level. We
have to try to meet the needs of all students. This is how I rationalize
the choices I make.

Of the books you mentioned, I have read Jade Green. It was excellent,
although I have to admit that I was surprised to come across the attempted
rape. Still, I kept the book and I think that Phyllis Reynolds Naylor fans
will love it.

 I read Stuck in Neutral for my young adult lit class. It's awesome, but
not at
a middle school level. Try High School.

Many of the school districts in Maryland have selection guidelines. It is a
blessing to many new LMS. My professors told me that two positive reviews
mean
you can select it. So go with good selection sources like YALSA, Booklist,
SLJ
and VOYA to start.

I'm in a K-6 school, and I do have Jade Green on the shelf.  It has a yellow
YA sticker on it which means reserved for sixth graders.  This has worked
well for me.

I just finished reading Stuck in Neutral.  The story is written from the
point of view of an extremely intelligent teen boy who has cerebral palsy
and is unable to express himself or control any of his muscles--he cannot
even direct his eyes.  His father loves him and is contemplating killing
him
as an act of mercy to save him from the pain that the father imagines the
boy is experiencing during his seizures.  In the story the boy actually
enjoys his seizures for they provide him with an out-of-body experience in
which he is free to see and do whatever he likes.  The story ends with the
question of whether the father will kill the son or not.

The author has a child with cerebral palsy, and this is what he imagines
his
son's life may be like.  There are some sexuality segments.  In one the boy
looks down a woman's dress when her chest with low cut dress is
inadvertently thrust within close proximity to the boy's face.  There is
also a disturbing segment when some teen boys, see the main character
sitting on his deck and come over to bully him verbally and then physically
by lighting a lighter under his chin.  The main character's brother who is
wrestler attacks the bullies and would possibly have killed them if his
sister had not intervened.

The book shows how one child can profoundly affect the lives of his
siblings
and parents.  It is also about not making assumptions about the
intelligence
of an individual based on whether s(he) can speak or control his/her body.

I hope that this helps.  I found the book very interesting and good reading.

I highly recomend Jade Green and Stuck in Neutral to my 8th graders - both
are terrific stories that have been well received by my students. Haven't
read the other two.

I've only read one of the books you listed - PLAYERS. It's wonderful and
staying in my middle school 6-8 library.

I've read Stuck in Neutral, and I loved it. There are some parts of it that
would not be suitable for the younger audience in your school. For example,
the main character frequently comments on getting to peek down the blouse
of
a woman, or how he likes that his sisters' friends have pajama parties in
front of him because they forget that he's there. This is one of those
titles that your 7th and 8th graders would enjoy. I taught fifth grade for
five years, and to be honest, I don't know that any of my students would
have stayed interested in the book long enough to get to the questionable
parts. It's a quick read, so you might want to check it out. It raises some
very interesting questions.

I read the Hard Ball trilogy last summer. Started with the first and had to
go out and find the others. I have recommended it to lots of 7 and 8
graders.

I have Jade Green and it does circulate, but I am not so enthusiastic about
that one. There is a rape in it--not described really specifically, but it
is still a rape. It is really scary and the students love it. But I keep
wondering if it will get me in trouble. Perhaps it needs to be lost? I'm
still pondering that one.