>Our criticisms of
>Hemingway have the classification number, followed by HEM, and a third
>line if there is one identifiable author, using the first three
>letters.  For the compilations, we just use the two lines, though that's
>new.  We had been using the first three letters, so all the "readings on
>. . " in American fiction ended up together.OK , but not as helpful as
>having all the Hemingway criticism together. We have a similar system for
>the  bios, which are in non-fiction according to where the person is
>prominent. So all bios of Louis Armstrong are together.  We'll see if this
>proves to be happier for students and teachers.

 I'm starting to do something similar with my holiday books and
Cinderella stories.

Holidays:

394.2 CHR BAR (a Christmas book by Barth)
398.2 CIN WEG (Cinderlla variation by Wegman)

 I've been putting all my Cinderella stories, cultural variations as well
as the "way off" ones like the penguins one, in the 398.2 CIN section.

This way when teachers do their Cinderlla unit, they can immediately see
which ones are available. teachers can also find the holiday books
easier, as they are all grouped together. I use cutters for about a dozen
major holidays that I have more than several books on.

Suzanne (Weinheimer) Ng, Librarian
South Mountain Elementary School Library
444 West South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ 07079
1-973-378-7848 (voice & fax)
email: sng@somsd.k12.nj.us (school)