I've been working on just this all month.  I know that during
retrospective conversion Follett gave us three letters where we may have
only had one on our labels (nobody noticed until I ran the inventory this
year and our books were discovered to be severely out of order owing to
this little glitch). We also had many older titles with the old Cutters.
I don't think MARC cares what we put on our labels
  For literature we have grouped our things as many seem to, so
works by and about an author will fall together.  Our criticisms of
Hemingway have the classification number, followed by HEM, and a third
line if there is one identifiable author, using the first three
letters.  For the compilations, we just use the two lines, though that's
new.  We had been using the first three letters, so all the "readings on
. . " in American fiction ended up together.OK , but not as helpful as
having all the Hemingway criticism together. We have a similar system for
the  bios, which are in non-fiction according to where the person is
prominent. So all bios of Louis Armstrong are together.  We'll see if this
proves to be happier for students and teachers.

Maureen S. Irwin
Director of the Library
Rye Country Day School
Rye, N.Y.