Dear friends,

I may be taking on the challenge of running a middle
school library in about 5 weeks from now.  I am in the
beginning of getting the MLS endorsement, so my actual
experience running a library or working in one is
zero. I have a lot of computer skills, that won't be a
problem.  I think that's why I am an attractive
candidate, but I feel really (really) weak when it
comes to where to begin with the books, reference and
other resources.  It's been awhile since I've had to
use some of these myself.  I feel embarassed even
having to ask, but I don't want that to stop me
because I know this group is very supportive and has
shown me a million great things already over the last
6 months.  So here are some of my most immediate
questions...

***Who ever is out there- you can respond directly to
me regarding as many questions as you like and I'll
post a HIT once all the stuff is compiled to help
others.

1. What are your best/favorite professional resources?
(web sites or journals that I absolutely need to know
about)

2. Where are some good lessons/activities for 7th/8th
graders on library skills?

3. What is the big deal with Almanacs?

4. Where do I start when I get in there the first
couple of days before the kids come?  (the collection?
getting to know teachers and signing them up for
library time? I don't know where to begin!)

5. What is a good book/web site on the demystifying
cataloging?

6. Good book lists for me- and the students? (I have
been searching the net on this one a lot.  I'm trying
to familiarize myself with as many popular YA titles
and authors as I can.)

I'm sure I will have more question to post in the
future.  Once again, thanks for your support.

Sincerely,

N.DeCrette
Jefferson County Public Schools
Colorado