Madeline,

This is a testimonial, not a sales pitch!

Sometimes the best things in life really are free!  The Church of Latter
Day Saints [Mormons] offer one for free to anyone wanting to download
it.  Go to http://www.familysearch.org and look around for the Personal
Ancestral File.  This is not a demo, and yes, it is free.  I believe one
of the church's missions, or outreaches, is genealogy, so they provide
this for free.

This is a VERY complete program.  I was able to input and export
information to/from it.  If you should even want to upload your
information into their files it includes the correct format.  They have
updates periodically.  You can publish your own web page from it as well
-- okay, it organizes your information into a web page, you find a host
for the site.

I have several cousins who have gone the "buy the product" route (must
be better, they paid for it...) and I've only heard complaints from them
in terms of what their programs cannot do!  I downloaded the Mormon one
initially to examine it to determine what features I wanted in one to
purchase -- never went any farther (maybe I should explain I took
classes in genealogy from some Mormons, so my information fit very
well.)

Good luck,

April Johns, LMS
Larkin High School