> It is very hard to find a character to care about.

Hi Sylvia
That is such an important comment!  Last week we had Jackie French, one of
Australia's leading authors for children, hold 110 Yr 3/4 kids spellbound as
she talked to them about how they could make their stories better, and one
of her key messages was to make sure that they created characters that the
reader cared enough about to warrant finding out what happens to them.

I will never know if there is such a character in Artemis Fowl, simply
because I didn't care enough to finish three chapters, let alone right to
the end!

I think these sorts of discussions about these books are so valuable,
particularly as we cross international boundaries and find that even though
we each bring a different cultural perspective to the table, we all still
value the same core qualities of good literature.  Yes, there was/ is a lot
of hype about Harry Potter, although the first one sat on my shelves unread
until the groundswell started to spread, but the acclamation and so forth
came after the quality of the book had already been acknowledged by its
readers. There was substance to support the sensation!

Our copy of AF is now on the shelf - I shall see what the response is.

Cheers
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian