This is part 2 of the Star Test, looks like this will be a 3 part
message!

Susan Ferkin, Librarian
Crump Elem.
Memphis, TN

We use the STAR test and so far it has worked well.  You do have to
careful with kids cheating to dummy down their score, but I think that
can happen with any reading test.  After everyone has tested, I can
easliy make printouts for every teacher, plus I have a master list so
that if students don't know their ZONE, I can look it up quickly.

My school, K-12, uses AR without STAR.  Our program is used as an
incentive; a few teachers use it as a part of requirements for reading.
allow students to take tests on books two levels below their grade and
as
high up as they choose.  I do not agree with reading levels assigned by
AR
after about the 4th grade.  I feel students should read according to
interest levels vs. reading levels once they become idependent readers.
Also, 7th grade and up may read books from 5th grade and up, for most YA

and adult books are written from 6th grade level and up; average is
about
8th grade.

Teachers may individually allow tests to be taken by students if it is
blocked.  Also, special education students are allowed to read two
levels
below their tested reading level.

Our system works well, as about 80% of our students in k-6 voluntarily
use
the program; about 50% of those will reach points beyond their yearly
goal.
 Therefore, I am satisfied.  After students reach their goals, they feel

free to read books that do not have an AR test.  I emphasize that our
program is used an incentive to encourage free reading by the students.
They are rewarded when each of their goals are met.

My son's school used STAR in 6th grade at his middle school.  He tested
at
11th grade reading level (another reason I don't like STAR is that I
don't
think it is accurate in its testing) and had to read books at 11th grade

level.  Now how many middle schools have War and Peace or Tale of Two
Cities on their shelves?  Also, there really aren't that many books
written
on that level, especially not of interest to a middle schooler!

All our teachers seem to be pretty happy with STAR. Just remember that
it's
actually a "quick and dirty." Assessment of reading skill depends on a
lot
of variables, and I wouldn't ever let the STAR test be the one and only
arbiter of a student's level of skill. STAR is really intended to get a
quick fix on a good zone for the student to work in. However, if you
find
that the test greatly belies your own knowledge of the student, you need
go by your own judgement, because he or she might not have a)tried very
hard, b)known every bit of vocabulary in the test questions, or c)given
flip that day about anything. Even once you have a "zone" set by STAR,
you
need to adjust between the periodic STAR tests, based on the student's
performance on the AR tests.

Hi--We use the STAR test at our middle school (6-8) and we implemented
it
mainly because we needed to know at what level kids needed to be
reading. So
many just picked up the easiest books they could find at first, or they
just
wanted high point books that were way above their ability (like David
Copperfield) and we wanted to have some way to measure their abilities.
The
up side is that it directed kids to more appropriate reading materials,
but
the down side is that the students tend to get really hung up on only
reading
in their range regardless of content, maturity, etc.  As the LMS I try
balance those things when I recommend a book, and the teachers agree so
it
hasn't been too much trouble.  This was with the old STAR test. Now
along
comes the new ATOS formula which is drastically reducing the reading
levels
and throwing everything into confusion. The new levels are coming in at
least
one grade level or more below the old ones (which of course we had
labelled
in the books). I don't know if you already have AR up and going, so that
will
make a difference to you.  We just had kids test again in the middle of
the
year and it is heartening to see growth in reading scores, so that is a
plus,
but it's all getting a little complicated! Good luck. Bottom line is
that I'm
glad we did it, but it isn't always easy!

The STAR diagnostic test is definitely worth the investment. It does set
the AR level painlessly but it gives much more diagnostic
information like weaknesses including elaboration and suggestions--my
teachers love it.  They also use it intermittently to acess
progress throughout the year.  They use it in parent conferences. It is
great to have proof that a child has improved 2 grade levels in 1
year.

We purchased the Star Test for Accelerated Reader this year.  All our
students take the test.  We plan to give it at the beginning, middle and

end of the year.  One thing we have found is that it does rate some
students higher than they are really capable of reading and passing AR
quizzes.  We are not sure at this time if it was because the student
made
some lucky guesses on the STAR TEST or if that is just how the program
is
written.

But at least it gives the teachers a good starting point for working
with
their students.

While it is not 100% accurate, STAR usually provides good information
about
children in the "learning to read" stage. There are some (kids) who show

that they can read and understand via Accelerated Reader and don't do
well
on the STAR test; and those who just don't buy into AR, but show their
reading growth (repeatedly) via STAR. It is the typical, but often
forgotten, "you have to examine each student individually" syndrome.
Anytime
you apply some quiz or test to each child across the board you will find

that there are some [many] that don't fit the criteria. The thing about
AR/STAR, is that you will end up helping more than not. I am finding
that
more kids are reading than before with AR/STAR. It is these kids who
really
reaping the benefits. Part of it, of course, depends upon the individual

classroom teacher. I see some kids who do well one year, only to fall
down
greatly the next. The difference? The enthusiasm, support, and effort of
the
classroom teacher.