Hi all,

Many thanks to all who responded.  Being on this list has been such a help
to me professionally, and that point was brought home to me in the responses
I received.  You guys are the best!  From the responses, it appears that
ownership could depend on the interpretation of copyright law.  As I tried
to figure it out, it appeared that it might in my favor in some cases but
not in others.  At my school right now, there is no policy one way or the
other.  On a brighter note, I met with the administration today about my
concern and was told that the "ownership" policy is in regards to all web
pages but the library web page.  They are aiming for standarization, which
makes sense, but they feel that too much work has already been done on the
library web page to start over again. What a relief, but it still doesn't
answer the question and it will  need to be addressed eventually.  I think
we could reach a comprise when the time comes.  I couldn't take the page and
leave them without an "electronic collection" any more than I could leave
with all the books.  My biggest concern is the artwork and one or two
pages.This discussion has certainly educated me, and I will be sharing it
with the administration as we attempt to work this out.  This post will be
in 3 parts.

Rosanne Zajko - SLMS
Ancillae Assumpta Academy
Wyncote, Pa. 19095
rmz@adelphia.net

___________________________________

I believe I own my schools website. I do 99 percent of the work at home,
and all of the information is stored on my server at home. In fact, my
then-boyfriend was the one who filed for the domain name back in 96, and
did all that legwork, more than 2 years before the district got their own
domain name.

 My principal was very happy when I got married, because she figured the
website would be more permanent (less likely to disappear). Then again,
if *I* leave, so does the website.

The main question is who pays for hosting the site? If the school pays,
then it's their property. If you pay, then you have a good argument that
it's yours. The artwork would of course remain yours, and the school would
have to pay to license it if you left. I would say content is also yours if
you work on it after work.

The school district should set up a site for the library page, pay for
hosting, and give you time to work on it during regular school hours if
they want to keep the rights to it.

_______________________________________

If any work was done on the employee's work time, and no contract or
negotiation of rights was decided prior to the work, then the school board
can claim that it has rights to the page's content.  Of course, you can
always remove the page.

Lesson plans do belong to the school board, as they are contracted with the
employee to perform their job.

This is an interesting question that I hadn't really thought much about.   I
retired this year but left my own page up without a second thought.  Below
is
what I deemed a couple of years ago was perhaps the best high school library
page available at the time.  This librarian left her outstanding page up
when
she took an assignment in a middle school in the same district where she now
is
working on a second page that (I believe) is separate from her school's
page.

http://www.rcs.rang.k12.va.us/SCHOOLS/RCHS/Library/Index.htm

The librarian at St. Ambrose U. retired and left her outstanding site up,
too.
For some reason, I am not able to open it tonight, but here is the address
of
this amazing contribution:

http://www.sau.edu/library

end of Part 1