I need some help on a problem that is coming up in the Media Center.
I am in an Urban school district whose standardized scores are not good.
When the students first started doing research on the Internet we
witnessed many students who just took the information from downloads
changed the tops and handed the papers in as their own work. Also they
downloaded and printed out 100s of pages. So, a few of us got together
and decided that the students should not be downloading complete
articles but should be doing the research  and finding just the
information that they needed. We did this by teaching them to copy and
paste into a word processing document. Some of the teachers would even
give me an outline of the assignment and I would put it in the computer
under the Apple Menu and the students just had to fill in the outline by
copying and pasting. Well, we have a new subject teacher who isn't a
happy camper about this and is going to raise a ruckus. I still feel
that this is the way to go because we are forcing the kids to read,
think and find the information they need rather than just handing in a download.
What are your thoughts on this?
  Thanks!
--
Phyllis Roche, Librarian