On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Sara Reinders wrote:
> I would like to visually define the boundries where K-5 students will
> sit during story times in our new building.  I won't have a story
> pit, but the designers have indicated that it would be easy to put in
> a carpet inlay in a contrasting color.  I know I have seen libraries
> and classrooms with these.  Some look like big checkerboards, and the
> students are supposed to choose one square and keep their hands and
> feet inside while listening.  Others are just big squares of carpet
> in a contrasting color.  Does anyone have experience with anything
> like this?  What design and shape works best, and what are the ideal
> dimensions?  Would a triangular or fan shape work?  What about a
> series of concentric arcs?  Any pitfalls to avoid?

I think you want the seating to be as flexible as possible... so you may
wish to stick with movable carpet squares instead of including them in the
carpet pattern.  I have used them in public library storytimes and in the
classroom (1st-3rd multiage).  They give kids their own space but they
still have choice of color and placement.

I got free "carpet samples" from the local carpet store.

-Maggi Rohde
 maggi@intranet.org
 Children's Librarian, Canton Public Library, MI
 (and education student)