Thanks for all comments about Harry Potter for younger students. Results are
mixed. There is no agreement.

Here are the replies:

I allow checkout of Harry Potter books to anyone.  My nephew who is in first
grade is reading them on his own after having had them read to him by his
folks. I know that's unusual but some of the kids do check them out to have
parents read the books to them.

I feel the content of the 4th Harry Potter book is more apppropriate for
middle school students, so I usually try to steer younger kids away from the
4th one.

I always recommend to the 3rd graders to wait to read Harry until they are
older, and they are so good about listening.  There are lots of toher great
books for them to read and enjoy at their age.

I had a second grade teacher ask for the first Harry Potter book just this
morning to read to her class.  Fortunately it is not here, but I started to
tell her that I didn't think it was a good idea  . . . .

For our younger kids, they need to pass a five finger test on the book before
they can check it out.  Those that are reading on a higher level (I thinkHP
is around 5th grade RL, isn't it?) may check it out. Our teachers really want
us to emphasize finding books at the students' own reading levels.

All students except k's are allowed to check out Harry Potter books. Many
cannot read it yet, but there are parents who read it aloud to them.  And I
do have a second grader who actually read the books last year as a first
grader!  (I know, I was surprised, myself!) I think the books are great for
all except the most timid easily scared children.  ALmost all can relate to
the themes and enjoy Rowling's great writing style.

My neighbor's daughter started reading them in grade 2 and it was a great
motivator for her to read more. What could be a better reason to expose kids
to books?

I am having the same concerns.  J.K. Rowling doesn't recommend Harry to
children under 8.  My "advanced" readers in K and 1 want to read it, although
most cannot. So far I've tried to discourage them and save it for another
year when they'll understand more of the story.  Othertimes, I have asked for
parental permission, but don't like to do that really.

I have a K-3 library and own all four books They stay checked out all the
time, especially IV.  It's my 2nd and 3rd graders that have them.  A first
grader must have a request from their parent to take one out. They are not
available to kinders.  I think the story is fine for kids by second grade,
however the language may trip them up.  But that can be great if it prompts
them to ask for help understanding!  My own son has improved his vocabulary
and reading skills by having Harry read to him when he was in third grade.
Now he is reading them on his own in fourth.

Once the inital rush was over, the HP books were available (made it to the
shelves) and second and third graders checked the books out.  I have no
problem with this.  One who are in over their head don't renew. Many are
being read to by a parent.

I feel HArry is fine for third grade. I read it to a class last year and most
really enjoyed it.  I don't think it is appropriate in a school settin g for
younger children.  Two second grade teachersin my school are reading it to
their kids, but I really think they are too young. A parent might find that
is appropriate for a younger child at home (you can skip parts that are too
scary, etc.