More responses -

I allow grades 1 and up to check out Harry Potter.  I am lucky - I have lots
of multiple copies. I talk to the young children about having someone read it
to them. It usually comes back quickly for obvious reasons. I also have the
rule that first graders have to take out a picture book or emergent reader
book in addition to their "free choice" i.e. a Harry Potter book.  Even if
yound children can read the words in a Harry book, it certainly is beyond
their comprehension. ANd the length is not appropriate for below grade 3.
Hope this helps.

I am currently allowing 2nd and 3rd graders to check out Harry Potter books
if they are good readers. I have asked a few students to read the firstpage
to me and if they so all right I allow them to take the book. however, some
young children enjoy having the book read to them, so I ask them who will be
reading with them.  I usually allow them to take the books they choose.

I found that children this age have parents who are willing to read to this
series as a group project and will first take it out of the library to see
how it goes and then will buy a copy.  ALso the parent want to see if it has
too much magic or are the fundamentalists overreacting? (yes!)  I also find
that children have a hard time finishing them because they are so long.  I
think you should disallow them.

I have a very open shelf policy for taking out books. There are some children
in grades 1-3 who may actually read the Harry Potter or have it read to them.
 I use my discretion in allowing students in grade 1 and 2 check out "Chapter
books". I sometimes nix a book unless they tell me they have a person at home
who will read it to them.  Students in grade 3 and up are on their own to
make this decision.

I think I have very few students that could actually read Harry Potter books
and understand what is going on in the story.  I have my students read a page
to me out loud and if they have more than five error (the five finger rule)
then the book is too hard for them and they must make another selection.

In my library I only let grades 4 and up take out Harry.  If a parent of a
third grader wants to take out a Harry Potter book, I tell the child to bring
in a note from his parents.

I know of one very good third grade reader who has read Harry.  I would
suggest him  for grades 4 and up.

I love Harry Potter, but I won't let my third grade daughter (who read 7th
grade level) read it yet.  I just know she'll have nightmares.  Maybe when
she's a bit older and not so sensitive.