I love Harry Potter, but I won't let my third grade daughter (who reads on a
7th grade level) read it yet. I just know she'll have nightmares.  Maybe when
she's a bit older and not so sensitive.

I know of one very good third grade reader who has read Harry.  I would
suggest him more for 4th grade and up.

In my library I only let grades 4 and up take out Harry.  If a parent of a
third grader wants to take out a book I tell the child to bring a note from
his parents.

I think I have very few students that could read Harry Potter books and
understand what is going on in the story.  I have my students read a page out
loud and if they have more than 5 errors. (the 5 finger rule) then the book
is too hard for them and they must make another selection.

I have a very open policy for taking out books.  There are some children in
grades 1-3 who are able to read HArry Potter or have it read to them.  I use
my discretion in allowing students in grades 1 and 2 to check out "chapter
books". I sometimes nix a book unless they tell me that they have a person at
home who will read it to them.  Students in 3rd grade are on their own to
make this decision.

I don't think primary grade children can read Harry independently.  But they
are having it read to them.  I let them take out HArry and others.  I
purchased harry on audio tape and these are always out.

I have found children this age have parents who are willling to read Harry to
them as a group project and willl first take it out of the library to see if
it has too much magic or are the fundamentalists overreacting (yes!) I also
find that children have a hard time finishing them because they are so long.
I think you should not disallow them.

I am currently allowing 2nd and 3rd graders to take out Harry books if they
are good readers.  I have asked a few students to read the first page to me
and if they do all right I let them take out the book..  However, some young
children enjoyhaving the book read to them so I ask who willl be reading it
with them.  I usually allow them to take the books they choose.

I allow grades 1 and up to take out Harry - I am luck to have multiple
copies.  i talk to the young children about having someone read it to them.
It ususallly comes back quickly for obvious reasons.  I also have a rule that
the first graders have to take out a picture book or emegent reader book in
addition to their "free choice" i.e. a Harry Potter book.  Even if young
children can read the words, itcertainly is beyond their comprehension.  And
the length is not appropriate for below grade 3.