Netters:

Just got back from our state school librarians' convention/conference in
Long Beach, California where I purchased a paperback copy of "The Flag We
Love" by Pam Munoz Ryan at the Scholastic Book Fair booth. This book might
just be a PERFECT read-aloud for this week leading up to Veteran's Day.
I'll be reading it to my primary classes.

Each two-page spread has a four line poem (large print) as well as
beautiful full-color illustrations. Below the poem is a fact box about the
featured picture. Some of the topics include: the origin of the flag &
information on the design and colors, the first year the Stars and Stripes
flew over a school house, information about the Pledge of Allegiance, the
background information of the flag that inspired the writing of the
"Star-Spangled Banner" (30' x 42' - it's BIG! See it in person being
restored at the Smithsonian!), flying the flag at half-staff* honoring the
memory of the deceased, explorers posting flags, children parading with
flags on the Fourth of July, flags at our ports of entry greeting guests
and welcoming home citizens, on the moon, AT MONUMENTS AND MEMORIALS (a
picture of the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial is illustrated), and an
explanation of the flag representing our democracy - government of the
people.

You can read just the poem parts to the younger children, and share the
fact boxes with the older ones.

Although the emphasis is not on veterans per se, the book does evoke a
patriotic feeling that can be expanded on to include vets and our current
military personnel. It is certainly appropriate to share with our students
at this time when our flag is seen everywhere. I plan to conclude the
reading with some thoughts about how our veterans served our country to
defend our freedom, rights, and principles, all symbolized in that flag.
And I may even mention that there are many others who serve our nation on
foreign soil but never wear a uniform - like my son who serves in the Peace
Corps. I call him my "Soldier of Peace."

*we commonly say "half-mast" but that term is only technically correct if
you are at sea.

Joanne Ladewig
"Library Lady" at Lawrence Elementary
Garden Grove, California