I was asked to post a hit of books recommended to me for purchase. The
following paragraph is what was in my request for help.I would like to
ask for some more recommendations if possible including more
non-fiction. I kept in some of the comments with the books to give you
insight about the books that I don't have.

Here are some that I have a hard time keeping on my middle school
shelf.  In fact, all of these have multiple reserves on
them :)  A few of these - Stick in Neutral, Angus..., and Silent to the
Bone are really more appropriate for 6-8.  Hope it
helps you out.

Stargirl, Jerry Spinelli
Stuck in Neutral, Terry Trueman
Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging, Louise Rennison
Dovey Coe, Francis O'Rourke Dowell
Jade Green, Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Princess Diaries, Meg Cabot
Silent to the Bone, E.L. Konigsburg

Maus I and Maus II are must have books by Art Speigelman

David Almond's books and
Artemis Foul -- very popular with my kids

STAR GIRL, by Jerry Spinelli.  I've heard it's a great self-esteem book
for girls.

Fiction
1. Among the Hidden by Haddix (Future USA, Big Brother themes)
2. Among the Imposters by Haddix (It's sequel, both real popular)
3. If I Just Had Two Wings, by Schwartz (Underground Railroad)
4. The Girls by Koss (Friendship & manipulation)
5. Someone Was Watching, by Patneaude (mystery/kidnapping,
    ALWAYS checked out)
6. Flipped by Van Draanen (middle school crush, flawed characters who
     grow in integrity and self-knowledge)
7. The Rag & Bone Shop by Cormier (short, but a good, intense read)
8. Because of Winn-Dixie by DiCamillo

Nonfiction
9. John & Abigail Adams (Biography of them as a couple, I was lucky
     enuf to be sent an advance reading copy--REAL nice)
10. Rachel's Tears by Scott (Bio of the girl killed at Columbine)

 30 reference books for my own use in this program--big expensive
resource books you wouldn't get otherwise--things like:

>From A To Zoo - great book on bibliotherapy

get the 8 books by lemony snicket...our students are inhaling them

I would like to thank all who responded for their time and effort and
I hope others can get something out of it also.

Ken Kugler
CLASP Librarian
Queens Public Library
Queens, New York