Good morning, LM-NET!

Many thanks to Debbie Reese for her detailed and patient
posting regarding sterotypical images we have of Native
Americans.

I write from central New Hampshire. We have approximately
500 students, and no more that a tiny handful represent
any sort of ethnic minority. I find that keeping myself,
never mind the library collection, sensitive to
multiculturalism is something which requires more
deliberate attention from me than from those of you,
perhaps, who recognize ethnic diversity all around you on a
regular basis.

Debbie, I echo Sharron's post that asked you to recommend
a few specific titles.

I just finished 'Ghostfox' (James Houston), which portrayed
the Abnaki and Mohawk tribes and the French and Indian
War. The author's note said that his work of fiction is based
on historical records. Now I wonder how carefully his
research actually was. I consider this thread a gentle nudge
that reminds me to maintain a healthy, intellectual
skepticism.

I have seen quizzes designed to point out how little we
understand others' cultures. I've seen some in connection
with 'general knowledge' questions that unfairly bias IQ
tests. Do you know what I'm talking about? Do you, Debbie,
or any other LM-NETters have a similar 'cultural IQ' test
that I can use to test my students' (and, yes, my own! I'll go
first) knowledge about Native American cultures?

--
Chris Finer, Librarian
Newfound High School

<cfiner@newfound.k12.nh.us>

"Throw away the garbage. Otherwise
you will be impressed with how much you have
and discouraged by how little there is."
                                       --Ernst Haas