For those who asked for a list of recommended books, here is one I put
together for a presentation I'm giving today in mid-state Illinois. It is
an incomplete list. Bruchac's books are great, but they're not all listed
here. I put together another list that's on the website of the ERIC
Clearinghouse on Elementary and Early Childhood Education. It has books
listed that aren't listed below. The URL for that list is:
http://ericeece.org/pubs/reslist/native00.html. Regarding titles I've
designated as YA, exercise caution. Some patrons may find some of the
content objectionable (sexual/violent).

You may notice that the books listed are primarily by Native authors. I
think that there are some excellent new Native authors, but their books
don't get the promotion they need. We tend to stick with authors we know,
like Ann Rinaldi or Eve Bunting when we could get something by a relatively
unknown author that could provide more authentic
settings/characterization/etc. I do not mean to say that Rinaldi and
Bunting cannot write such books, nor do I think being Native means the
author's work will be terrific. I do mean to say, though, that if we don't
pause to look critically at their books and seek other alternatives, we may
not be developing our collections as we could.

Debbie

RECOMMENDED BOOKS, RESOURCES, AND MUSIC

Recommended Children's Books and Young Adult Literature: A Sampling
      RF  Realistic Fiction; HF  Historical Fiction; NF  Nonfiction;
P  Poetry; TL  Traditional Literature
      Elementary; M  Middle School; YA  Young Adult

Alexie, Sherman. (1994) Tonto and the Lone Ranger Fistfight
In Heaven. New York: Harperperennial. (RF - YA)

Allen, Paula Gunn. (2001) As Long As the Rivers Flow :
The Stories of Nine Native Americans. New York:
Scholastic (Bio  E/M)

Archuleta, Margaret L., Brenda J. Child, and K. Tsianina
Lomawaima. (2000) Away from Home: American Indian
Boarding School Experiences. Phoenix: The Heard
Museum. (NF  YA)

Begay, Shonto. Visions and Voices. (P - All ages)

Broker, Ignatia. (1983) Night Flying Woman. St. Paul:
Minnesota Historical Society. (HF - YA)

Bruchac, Joseph. (1998) Arrow Over the Door. New York:
Dial. (HF - E/M)

Bruchac, Joseph. (1997) Bowman's Store. New York: Dial.
(Autobiography - M/YA)

Bruchac, Joseph. (1996) Children of the Longhouse. New
York: Dial. (HF - E/M)

Bruchac, Joseph. (2001) Skeleton Man. HarperCollins. (RF  M/YA)

Campbell, Maria. (1973) Halfbreed. Lincoln: University of Nebraska
Press (RF - M/YA)

Champagne, Duane. (1994) Chronology of Native North American
History. Detroit: Gale Research (NF  All ages)

Champagne, Duane. (1994) Native America: Portrait of the Peoples.
Detroit: Visible Ink Press. (NF  All ages)

Deloria, Ella. (1988) Waterlily. Lincoln: University of Nebraska
Press. (HF - M/YA).

Deloria, Vine. (1969). Custer Died For Your Sins: An Indian
Manifesto. New York: MacMillan. (NF  M/YA)

Dorris, Michael. (1994) Guests. New York: Scholastic (HF - E/M)

Dorris, Michael (1992) Morning Girl. New York: Scholastic (HF - E/M).

Dorris, Michael. (1996). Sees Behind Trees. New York:
Scholastic (HF - E/M)

Erdrich, Louise. (1999). Birchbark House. New York:
Hyperion. (HF - E/M)

Francis, Lee. (1996). Native Time: A Historical Time Line
of Native America. New York: St. Martin's Griffin. (NF  All Ages)

Hale, Janet Campbell. (1993). Bloodlines. Tucson: University
of Arizona Press. (RF - YA).

Harjo, Joy. (1996) Woman Who Fell From the Sky. W. W. Norton
& Company (P  YA)

Harjo, Joy. (2000). The Good Luck Cat. (RF - E/M)

Hubbard, Jim. (1994) Shooting Back from the Reservation.
New Press (NF  All ages)

Hungry Wolf, Beverly. (1980). The Ways of my Grandmothers.
New York: Quill. (RF - YA)

King, Thomas. (1992) A Coyote Columbus Story. Toronto:
Douglas McIntyre Ltd. (TL  M/YA)

King, Thomas. (2000) Truth and Bright Water. Atlantic Monthly
Press. (RF  YA)

Lacapa, Michael. (1993). Antelope Woman, An Apache
Folktale. (TL  E/M)

LaFlesche, Francis. (1963)The Middle Five: Indian Schoolboys
of the Omaha Tribe. Lincoln: U of Neb. Press.  (NF - M/YA)

Littlechild, George. (1993) This Land is My Land. Children's
Book Press. (RF  All ages)

Lomawaima, K. Tsianina (1994). They Called It Prairie
Light. University of Nebraska Press (NF  M/YA).

Mendoza, Durango (1994) "Summer Water and Shirley"
in Judith A. Stanford, Ed. Connections: Reading and Writing
in Cultural Contexts., Third Edition. Mountain View, CA:
Mayfield Publishing, pp. 184-191.  (Anthology  YA)

Mendoza, Durango (1999) "Geiogamah, Hanay & Darby,
Jaye T." in Stories of Our Way: An Anthology of American
Indian Plays. Los Angeles: UCLA American Indian Studies
Center. (Anthology  YA).

Momaday, N. Scott (1974) An Angle of Geese and Other
Poems. Boston: Godine (P  YA)

McNickle, D'Arcy.(1988) Wind from an Enemy Sky.
Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press (RF - YA)

Orie, Sandra DeCoteau. (1995) Did You Hear Wind Sing
Your Name? An Oneida Song of Spring. New York: Walker
& Co. (P  all ages)

Ortiz, Simon. (1988). The People Shall Continue. Children's
Book Press. (P - all ages)

Red Shirt, Delphine (1998). Bead on an Anthill: A Lakota
Childhood Lincoln: U of Nebraska Press. (NF  YA)

Rockwood, Joyce. (1976) To Spoil the Sun. New York:
Henry Holt (HF - M/YA)

Ross, Gayle (1995) How Turtle's Back Was Cracked: A
Traditional Cherokee Tale. New York: Dial (TL  E/M)

Ross, Gayle (1996) The Legend of the Windigo. New York:
Dial (TL  E/M)

Ruoff, A. Lavonne Brown. (1991) Literatures of the American
Indian. New York: Chelsea House (NF  All ages)

Skolnick, Sharon. (1997) Where Courage is Like a Wild
Horse. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press. (RF - YA)

Smith, Cynthia (1999). Rain is Not My Indian Name. New
York: HarperCollins (RF - E/M)

Sneve, Virginia Driving Hawk (1995). Completing the
Circle. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press
(Autobiography  YA)

Students of G.T. Cunningham Elementary School (1996).
We Are All Related: A Celebration of Our Cultural Heritage.
(NF- all ages)

Swamp, Jake. (1997) Giving Thanks: A Native American
Good Morning Message. Lee & Low. (P - all ages)

Tapahonso, Luci (1997). Blue Horses Rush In. Tucson:
University of Arizona Press. (P/RF  YA)

Turcotte, Mark. (1995). Songs of Our Ancestors. Chicago:
Children's Press (P  All ages)

Van Camp, Richard (1997). A Man Called Raven. Children's
Book Press. (RF  E/M)

Van Camp, Richard (1998). What's the Most Beautiful Thing
you Know about Horses. Children's Book Press. (RF  E/M)

Velarde, Pablita. (1993) Old Father Storyteller. Santa Fe:
Clear Light Publishers. (TL - all ages)  includes "Turkey Girl"

Waboose, Jan Bourdeau (2001). Sky Sisters. (MF  E/M)

Wallis, Velma. (1993) Two Old Women. New York:
HarperPerennial (HF - M/YA)

Recommended Resources about Native Americans
in Children's Literature:

Caldwell-Wood, Naomi, and Lisa A. Mitten. (1991) "I" Is
Not for Indian: The Portrayal of Native Americans in Books
for Young People.
      http://www.pitt.edu/~lmitten/ailabib.htm.

Internet Public Library: Native American Authors. Provides
a list of Native American authors, plus a short biography, a
list of published  works, and links to relevant sites.
<http://www.ipl.org/ref/native>

Kuipers, Barbara. (1991) American Indian Reference
Books for Children and Young Adults. Englewood:
Libraries Unlimited.

McCann, D. (1993). Native Americans in Books for the
Young. In V. Harris (Ed.) Teaching Multicultural Literature
in Grades K-8.  Norwood, MA: Christopher-Gordon Publishers, Inc.

Native Books. Native American Indian Resources. This
on-line resource contains critical reviews of children's books.
      http://indy4.fdl.cc.mn.us/~isk/mainmenu.html#mainmenutop

Reese, Debbie A., & Caldwell-Wood, Naomi. (1997). Native
Americans in Children's Literature. In V. J. Harris (Ed.), Using
Multiethnic Literature in the K-8 Classroom. Christopher Gordon, Inc.

Slapin, Beverly, & Seale, Doris. (1998). Through Indian Eyes:
The Native Experience in Books for Children. University of California
American Indian Studies Center.

Smithsonian Institution.  A Critical Bibliography on North
American Indians for K-12. An extensive site, arranged by
geographical area.
      http://nmnhwww.si.edu/anthro/outreach/Indbibl/bibliogr.html

Thompson, M.K. (Sept: 2001) "A sea of good intentions:
Native Americans in books for children." The Lion
and the Unicorn.

Recommended Professional Resources. Books and
websites listed here can help teachers and librarians
locate books, do fact checking, and gain insight and
awareness of issues related to Native culture and
Native perspectives.

Aperture.(1995) Strong Hearts: Native American
Visions and Voices. New York: Aperture.

American Indian Library Association website:
http://www.nativeculture.com/lisamitten/aila.html

Berkhofer, Robert E. (1978). The White Man's
Indian. New York: Vintage Books.

Bigelow, Bill. (1998). Rethinking Columbus:
The Next 500 Years. Milwaukee: Rethinking Schools.

Cubbins, E.M. (1999) Techniques for Evaluating
American Indian Web Sites. An excellent page
with substantive information.
      http://www.u.arizona.edu/~ecubbins/webcrit.html

Davis, Mary B. (1996). Native America in the
Twentieth Century: An Encyclopedia. New
York: Garland Publishing Inc.

Deloria, Phillip. (1998). Playing Indian. New
Haven: Yale University Press.

Hirschfelder, Arlene; Molin, Paulette Fairbanks;
& Wakim, Yvonne. (1999). American Indian
Stereotypes in the World of Children.  Scarecrow
Press.

Hoxie, Frederick. (1996). Encyclopedia of North
American Indians. New York: Houghton Mifflin.

Reese, Debbie A. (1998). "Native Americans:
Recommended Resources" Champaign, IL:
ERIC Clearinghouse on Elementary and Early
Childhood Education.
  http://ericeece.org/pubs/reslist/native00.html
(or call 1-800-583-4135 and request free copy).

Seale, Doris, B. Slapin, & C. Silverman. (1998)
Thanksgiving: A Native Perspective. Berkeley: Oyate.

Smithsonian Institution. Erasing Native American
Stereotypes. An essay based on work done by
June Sark Heinrich, Council on Books for Interracial
Children, 1977
  http://www.nmnh.si.edu/anthro/outreach/stereotyp.html

Stedman, Raymond William. (1982). Shadows of the
Indian. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press.

Womack, Craig. (1999) Red on Red: Native American
Literary Separatism. Minneapolis: U of Minnesota Press.

RECOMMENDED MUSIC. The CD's listed here are by
Native American musicians. Listeners can readily
distinguish the difference between Hollywood "Indian
music" and music written and performed by Native
Americans.

AKA Graffiti Man, Blue Indians, Johnny Damas & Me,
three CD's by John Trudell (Santee).

Dream Catcher, flute music of Tokeya Inajin (Kevin Locke),
distributed by Earth Beat/Warner Bros.

Heart of the World, by Mary Youngblood,
produced by Silver Wave Records.

Heartbeat: Voices of First Nations Women
and Heartbeat 2: Voices of First Nations Women

Honor the Earth Powwow: Songs of the Great
Lakes Indians, marketed by Rykodisc.

Letter from the End of the Twentieth Century,
Joy Harjo and Poetic Justice, Silver Wave Records.

Mahk Jchi, Ulali, Thrush Records.

Matriarch, Orenda, and Peacemaker's Journey,
by Joanne Shenandoah, produced by Silver Wave
Records.

Music from a Painted Cave, by Robert Mirabal,
Silver Wave.

The Red Road. Bill Miller. Wea/Warner Brothers.

Smoke Signals. Music from the movie, by Miramax,
soundtrack by TVT.

Stomp Dance Songs of the Muscogee Nation,
Volumes I and II. Indian House. www.Indianhouse.com

Talking Spirits: Music from the Hopi, Zuni,
Laguna and San Juan Pueblos. Music of the
World series.

Under the Green Corn Moon. Native American
lullabies in the Voices of Native America series
produced by Silver Wave Records.

Weaving the Strands: Music by Contemporary
Native American Women, Red Feather Music,
1-800-494-8984.

Debbie Reese, Visiting Lecturer
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
Email: d-reese@uiuc.edu