Dear LM_Netters:

An assistant principal from another high school contacted me to help
her gather questions about reading promotion.  She is starting a reading
teacher of the year which will honor classroom teachers who integrate
literature into their curriculum.  Her focus is the middle school/high
school area since reading drops drastically at those levels.  I am looking
for two things:

1.  Questions to ask of the nominees.  I know a couple to ask:  Why do
you think interest in reading drops during the middle and high school
years?
What kind of opportunities do you give for silent/independent reading?

What other questions should be asked?

2.   Does anyone have a classroom teacher at their school that does a
great job of integrating literature (can be English, math, history, etc)?
 What kinds of projects, etc do they do?  The assistant principal needs
ideas of what to look for in the candidates.

Thank you for your time on this.  Yes, I did e-mail her and ask if she
thought of including librarians in the nominations.  She said she hadn't
considered other teachers (beside classroom) but that this was a new
process they were trying, and they were learning from all questions (like
mine about if they were including librarians).  This was an opportunity
that fell in my lap (guidance counselor was on the phone when I walked
in, recommended me as a resource, assistant principal asked if I would
be on the committee to interview - I said yes, of course).  Just goes
to show we can keep our ears open and find new ways of promoting our
qualities.

Susan

--
Susan Myers