Dear All
The notion of a Peace Park rising from the rubble of the WTC is receiving
support from around the world, and schools in a number of countries are
making plans to be a part of this project.  Is yours?  I understand that
October 22 might not be the BEST day to plant because it will be too cold in
some places or half-term in others, but as co-ordinator of ISLD, I will be
taking the opportunity to launch it on that day.

Please join in this planting hope and growing peace initiative, even if it
is just nominal until planting conditions are more appropriate for you.

I have received the following message from the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens,
whom I emailed asking for suggestions for suitable plants for the area.  I
understand that these may not be right for where you live but nevertheless,
they are there FYI. Looks like deciduous and bulbs are best - cold winters,
short, wet, warm growing season.

Several schools have told me that they will be planting gardens or plants at
their school and when the time is right they will raise money to donate for
the purchase of in-area plants, so this might be something you could
consider.  I am going to investigate which Australian natives like similar
conditions to the plants listed here - it won't be too difficult because
many of the suggested plants grow in Canberra anyway. Other suggestions are
the ' Peace' and "Hope' roses, olive trees, and peace lilies.  Maybe someone
could tell us where to find instructions to make origami doves and we could
try to span the world with those too.  (As in Sadako and the 1000 paper
cranes.)

If anyone knows of an appropriate person/ authority to contact in NY that I
could advise of what the world's children are doing, I would be so grateful.
I see this as being the linking project of school libraries around the
world, growing bigger each year.

Please join us on ISLD, October 22
Kia ora
Barbara

PS If you are sending me photos, please save them in .gif format so that I
am able to open them!
Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School