I had noticed an email about the Lemony Snicket books not being reviewed
and was surprised at this. I checked into a couple of resources at my
fingertips and found a positive Kirkus Review as well as a positive
Library Journal for the first book in the series, _A Bad Beginning_.  In
the August 2001 SLJ issue, there is also a positive (although not
starred) review for _The Ersatz Elevator_.

I picked up one of the books from my book fair and loved it.  It was
_The Wide Window_ (#3) and I soon sought out the first and second to
read those and the others that followed in order.  My 6th grade niece
and I read about the author in a summer issue of _Entertainment Weekly_
and ran to the bookstore to find out when #8 was coming out.  It was a
long and painful wait but I finally was able to buy a copy  for the
school with a purchase order.  I, of course, had to read it first before
putting it in the collection.

One of the 5th grade teachers is reading the series to his class.  I did
warn him about the first one - I felt a little squeamish about it but I
have been fine with the rest.  We have a reserve list going for almost
every book in the series.

I can't always go strictly with the literary and educational value of a
book if I see what excitement and joy a book will bring to my students.
We just love it when they read and enjoy reading.  We have a selection
policy that addresses diversity of appeal and varied interests as well
so I feel justified in my decision to purchase the books.

Good luck on your decision!

Teresa Caddell
Librarian
Meadowcreek Elementary