Hello all -

The yeas and nays for "Reading Management Programs" go 'round on this
listserv every so often, and I must say - I agree with everyone!

I agree - and commiserate - with those who hate the misuse and abuse of
the AR software when they see resulting practices that woefully miss the
point - that point being, of course, to create lifelong readers and
thinkers.

And I agree - and rejoice! - with those who have seen circulation and
excitement soar as a genuine culture of enthusiastic readers has been
cultivated in their school communities.

The recent article in SLJ was particularly lenient or thick-headed,
depending on how you look at it. AR was presented as a program onto
itself, with never a mention of Reading Renaissance, the comprehensive
approach to creating readers of all students espoused by AR's parent
company, Renaissance Learning. It was actually surprising that the
bottom line assessment of AR was lukewarm rather than cold, given the
author's misperceptions of the role that AR software is meant to play -
especially egregious given that several of the company's spokespersons
were quoted, but obviously not in sufficient depth.

So what's the difference?

AR is a learning information system - a software package - that allows
teachers to monitor, motivate and manage the individualized reading
practice of many students simultaneously. Student comprehension is
assessed with short, computerized reading practice quizzes.

Reading Renaissance is a set of teaching techniques that, when properly
implemented, results in maximum reading growth in every student. Time is
allowed in every school day for monitored reading practice, students
practice with appropriately readable materials, teachers use data
generated by AR to guide students with their reading practice, and a
variety of activities take place regularly in the classroom and the
school at large that celebrate the joy of reading. That means, when done
right, not an either/or, but BOTH a love of reading and higher test
scores (so everybody's happy!)

Members new to this listserv, and some not so new, continue to post
messages requesting advice on "starting AR" at their school, usually at
the request of an administrator. Whether it's truly a request or in fact
a demand, do what is best for the children in your care and say NO to
just AR but YES to Reading Renaissance, and explain the difference. Take
the leadership role that our positions suggest to educate your community
about this classroom-centered (not LMC-run!) approach to bringing real
literature and the advantages of technology to the work that teachers
have always done - helping children learn to read and learn to love to
read.

As other list members have suggested, I'd also refer those who want to
know more to the company's website at www.renlearn.com

Now get off your computer and go read a good book!

Ellen Gadberry, LMS
Kingsley Charter School (PK-5)
DeKalb County GA
elgad@home.com