Berlie Doherty's The Famous Adventures of Jack, a
wonderful reworking of some very familiar Jack tales.Oct.
Greenwillow.

Michael Rosen's Shakespeare: His work and his world.
Candlewick, Nov. just terrific - fifth graders could handle.

James Howe's The Misfits, Antheneum, Oct. Ages 10 and
up. Characters are seventh graders, but the revolt against
name calling rings true.

MT Anderson, Handel: who knew what he liked. Rollicking
biography of the composter, picture book but with extensive
text. Candlewick. Oct.

Jean Fritz, Leonardo's Horse. Putnam. Oct.

Roderick Townley, The Great Good Thing. Atheneum, May.
My Newbery pick. What do storybook characters do when
the book is closed?

Holly George-Warren, Shake, Rattle, and Roll: the founders
of rock and roll. Houghton Mifflin. March. Nifty collective
biography for middle schoolers.

Good luck! GraceAnne

The aether spoke on 2 Oct 2001, from Pat Mathews about TARGET: new books for grades
3-5 thusly

> Hi,
> In about six weeks I am scheduled to speak to reading
> teachers about the best new books for kids in grades 3-5. I
> am woefully behind in my reading and am wondering if any of
> you have read anything that you would qualify as one of the
> "best" of the year so far.  TIA Pat
>
> Pat Mathews                             "It is not what a
> man does that Dr. Howard Elementary School Library
> determines whether his work is 1117 W. Park Avenue
>           sacred or secular, it is why he Champaign, IL
> 68121                     does it. The motive is everything.
> (217) 351-3866                          Let a man sanctify
> the Lord God mathewpa@cmi.k12.il.us                  in his
> heart and he can thereafter mathews@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
>                do no common act." A.W. Tozer

GraceAnne A. DeCandido
Blue Roses Consulting ~ Writing ~ Editorial ~ Web Content ~ New York City ~
ladyhawk@well.com http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html
What's Ladyhawk reading now?
http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/books.html

Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.
 Garrison Keillor