MS seems to have changed it's policy toward schools purchasing software.
Previously you could buy Office or Windows at a discount.  Now the resellers
show only the option of purchasing 12 or 24-month licenses for MS software
for schools.  Meaning the schools will have to keep paying to renew licenses
(even for operating systems).  "Tapping into" the education market indeed!
MS seems to want to keep the tap open permanently.  Our technology money
always comes in lumps (block grants, one time monies, etc.), having to renew
licenses can be dicey.  As it is, if my state money dries up next year I
won't be able to renew my on-line subscriptions, much less operating systems
and word processors.

I also wonder if selling to teachers at a discount now means that the
"simultaneous use" licensing is a thing of the past.  Previous MS education
licenses allowed a teacher to install office on a home computer if they had
it on their school computer.

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I don't think MS is offering this "discount"
as a form of charity.

----
Tony Doyle, Librarian
Livingston High School, Livingston, CA
tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us
<Http://www.lhs.muhsd.k12.ca.us/html/lhslibrary/lhslib.htm>
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.  Just get
people to stop reading them."-- Ray Bradbury