These are the replies to my question of which free e-mail service
is the best:

www.mail.com : recommended
I have a pop mail account with  http://www.softhome.net that I really
like.  You can also get your mail from the web, but that is just so so,
until I can get home where the pop mail account is.Juno : recommended

A link I've passed on to quite a few people looking for no-charge
email accounts is http://www.iopus.com/guides/bestpopsmtp.htm

Our school network recently was infected with the Nimda virus (all clear
now, don't worry :) ) and I was told Yahoo and Hotmail were major culprits
of viruses.
Yahoo :
Prefer Yahoo's ease of use.  You can access from any computer
in the world.

I tried yahoo mail, and it worked fine, but I did not check my malbox
often enough, and it filled up quickly!

Yahoo gets my vote.  I have a yahoo address and love it!

I love my Yahoo account, but I find Hotmail to be too
annoying to use. It often doesn't work with older browsers.

I like the factt that in Yahoo I can click directly on URLs in an email,
and go directly to that site,
whereas with Hotmail, you are limited.

I have been using yahoo for several years now and really like it.

I've used a Yahoo account for about 2 years and have only good
things to say about it. I do  have to warn you that eventually
spambots will send you "make a million in a day" and the
occasional porn site emails when you have a free email account.

I have been using Yahoo's email for 4 years now, and have not had a
security problem.
Also, I have no problem accessing lm_net, you can use any
 email to access it.
I just ignore the advertising at the top of the page  The ads are not
part of the email message, they are on the borders.
Hotmail
I'd stay away from Hotmail, as the accounts get lots of junk mail,
including porno.

I had to get a hotmail account so I could use their Messenger
service to talk to my parents, 500 miles away, on the computer.
I don't use the hotmail account for e-mail, yet the other day I
had 92  messages - all spam!

I love my Yahoo account, but I find Hotmail to be too
annoying to use. It often doesn't work with older browsers.

have used Hotmail for several years and like it very much;
it suits me fine.

Hotmail has worked fine for me. It is my primary email. The only problem
that I have come across is that I fill up the storage easily. (I tend to
save everything though).

Hi, I don't recommend Hotmail.  My 17 year old daughter says when
she had an account with them she constantly got sexually suggestive
advertising and emails.  My 12 year old set up a hotmail account
(without our knowledge) and we had a terrible time closing it.
I saw things coming into her site that seemed inappropriate,
 even though she showed me that she had indicated her age properly.
Both girls have yahoo now and I have heard no complaints.

The one thing I can tell you is...do not go with Hotmail!!!! I
have both  Hotmail and Yahoo accounts; the amount of junk mail
(much of it referral to pornographic sites) on Hotmail is incredible.
Yahoo is much better, plus I like the fact I can click directly on
URLs in an email, and go directly to that site, whereas with Hotmail,
you are limited.

I had problems with the Hotmail. It couldn't handle the volume of mail
received from this list serve. The some mail bounced back resulting in my
being removed from the listserv.

Hotmail allows downloading your mail to read offline, but
only with Outlook Express (and maybe Outlook 2000, not sure).  Yahoo
gives POP access if you give up a little information and accept some
advertising.

I would avoid Hotmail as it in particular seems to get a tremendous
amount of advertising  email--many of them for adult sites,
credit cards or quickie masters and doctoral degrees.
I think that Yahoo and Excite mail tend to get less of this junk mail

Netscape
[at lm_net]we've dropped the objection to the taglines that the free
services add to emails,  however, Hotmail seems to only send in html,
and that  comes though the listserver  almost as gibberish.
AOL is only a little  bit better. If you have a way to get to the
internet, Netscape v6.1 may  be your best bet. There is a setting in the
new Netscape mail that lets you specify which addresses should only
get mail in plain text  format. (which is how lm_net works best)

Excite
I have a free account, but I don't use it for lm_net. It is with
excite.com.  I like it, but  it doesn't have a spell checker. It has a
feature I have yet  to try but want to where I  could leave a voice
message and it would appear in my email.

I prefer Amexmail to Yahoo, HotMail, etc.  I had an account with
Yahoo and Amexmail at the same time and always received a lot of junk

Susan Burstein,
Portland Middle School Library
Portland, CT 06480
portland@connix.com   OR burstein@connix.com