To All LM_NETTERS -

I want to compliment all of you on the outstanding messages over the last
few weeks concerning the September 11 attacks and the aftermath.  As a
fellow LM_NETTER wrote me, "this is a great group. It reminded me of the
time I was so proud of them after the earthquake in California...in 1994."

I've also been particularly impressed by the range and variety of resources
being shared concerning all the issues surrounding Sept 11.

But - I'd like to see us go even further.  It's time to get pro-active in
bringing information to the people who need it (classroom teachers,
students, parents) and not wait for them to contact us or simply tell them
about a website or 2.  For example, how many of you have gone around from
teacher to teacher, asking what they might in relation to their classroom
and curriculum in relation to terrorism, grief, war as well as the specific
events?  How many of you have arranged to speak to a PTA (or equivalent)
group to make a short presentation on seeking and using quality information
about the various topics-and to have materials available for them?

And, not only is this the right time to get out and provide needed
information services - but it is a perfect time to work with classroom
teachers to develop lessons and assignments that tie learning information
skills to the recent events.  We can also work in appropriate reading
guidance and promotion services.

We need to stop talking about how important school libraries are and instead
get out there and show it!

I'm sure you get the idea.  So, here's my "call to action" - let's get out
there and start talking to teachers - especially new teachers or student
teachers.  Let's ask about their information needs, what they are already
doing, and what they might want to do.  Then, let's work with them to offer
rich and meaningful learning experiences for students.  We can tie in
information services (resources, special collections, etc.), information
skills instruction, and even reading advocacy activities.

What we do best is information.  So, let's do it!

To help with the resource side of this, my good friend Blythe Bennett,
Network Coordinator of the Virtual Reference Desk Project (and previously
the force behind KidsConnect) has pulled together a starter list of web
resources (see below).  This is a start, but remember that the key to this
won't be the resources - it will be each of you reaching out and showing the
power of information, libraries, and teacher-librarians.

Let's do it!

Thanks for listening,

Mike

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mike Eisenberg <mbe@u.washington.edu>
Dean and Professor
The Information School, University of Washington
Suite 370 Mary Gates Hall
Box 352840, Seattle, WA 98195-2840
ph. (206) 543-1794 fax: (206) 616-3152
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blythe's Resource Starter List

September 11, 2001

Teaching Students About Terrorism and Related Resources
http://askeric.org/Virtual/Qa/archives/Subjects/Social_Studies/Current_Event
s/tragedy.html
<http://askeric.org/Virtual/Qa/archives/Subjects/Social_Studies/Current_Even
ts/tragedy.html>

Lesson plans from PBS http://www.pbs.org/americaresponds/educators.html
<http://www.pbs.org/americaresponds/educators.html>

Talking about terrorism, tragedy, and resilience: Resources for parents,
teachers, and family support professionals
http://npin.org/library/2001/n00578/n00578.html
<http://npin.org/library/2001/n00578/n00578.html>

Gananda Middle-High School Special Collection on Terrorism
http://www.gananda.org/library/mshslibrary/special.htm
<http://www.gananda.org/library/mshslibrary/special.htm>
Local, state, national and international news agencies, suggestions about
where you can help, and other educational resources

Finding Disaster Coverage At Search Engines
http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/01/09-wtc.html
<http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/01/09-wtc.html>
An analysis of how search engines reacted to the terrorist attacks in the
United States and advice on how to find the latest information about the
disaster.

100 Questions and Answers about Arab Americans
http://www.freep.com/jobspage/arabs/index.htm
<http://www.freep.com/jobspage/arabs/index.htm>

Daryl Cagle's Professional Cartoonists Index - Editorial cartoons related to
the Tragedy http://cagle.slate.msn.com <http://cagle.slate.msn.com>

There are many more, but several of these provide pointers to lots of other
resources.

 Blythe Allison Bennett
Virtual Reference Desk Network Coordinator
Information Institute of Syracuse
Syracuse University
 blythe@ericir.syr.edu