Dear Rose
I am the opposite to you - I have my picture books and fiction intershelved,
albeit at different ends of the shelf so they don't slide everywhere!  So
many picture books are for older students these days and there is no stigma
attached to older kids browsing the picture book shelves. Similarly, I don't
segregate the novels except for a small section that have themes that are
merging into YA and these are for our Yr 6 students.

To help emerging readers and parents, particularly, to select novels that
still offer the support they need, I pop a coloured dot sticker on the front
near the barcode and the kids know these are 'Stepping Stones'.  They are
thinnish, have short chapters, larger print size and are illustrated
throughout. But the kids are very adept at selection anyway.

I also don't use shelf markers - they have not been successful because I
find if a kid takes a book and decides to borrow it, they forget all about
retrieving the shelf marker.  I ask them to put any they don't want to
borrow back on the shelf if they know where it goes or else leave it on a
table and I will do it.  It's just simpler that way.

I also get classes to shelf-read every now and then to pick up misplaceds
and they know the next class in will be challenged to double-check their
work.  Class 1 does a great job and Class 2 is very attentive as they try to
spot a mistake!! I do it with non-fiction too, and apart from anything else,
they are learning to use call numbers in a practical situation.  Win/win all
round!

Kia ora
Barbara

Barbara Braxton