I was asked to comment on the chain letter which appeared in LM_NET
suggesting that creating an address book entry of AAAA or 0000 (or
similar) would keep some kinds of viruses from propagating.

Folks, it ain't so <g>.  This is one of the hoaxes listed on the hoax
sites, and like so many of them, it has enough truth in it to sound
like it will work.

Why won't it?  Well, predominately because the viruses don't use
Outlook or Outlook Express to propagate themselves; they get the
addresses from them, but don't use them to send themselves on.

From http://www.vmyths.com (virus myths), I extract

> Vmyths believes a columnist wrote the original "trick" for an obscure
> computer publication. A search of Usenet archives shows the advice
> appeared on alt.comp.virus as far back as 12 August. The column later
> appeared (without attribution) in at least one non-computer email
> newsletter.
>
> Vmyths set up a special email address so you can forward chain-letter
> virus alerts to us. Your effort will help us detect changing trends in
> virus hysteria. Please forward the verbatim chain letter to
> HoaxFYI@Vmyths.com. Emails sent to this account will remain strictly
> confidential (we promise not to tattle on your boss if he got duped).

From another page,

> Discuss virus hoaxes in your next newsletter

> You'll probably want to write something short, fun, and to the point
> for your next newsletter. Feel free to use this with our compliments:

> Which of these things is not like the others?

> Win a Holiday computer virus alert
> Returned/Unable To Deliver computer virus alert
> Join the Crew computer virus alert
> Word.Concept computer virus alert
> Penpal Greetings computer virus alert

> Answer: (4). The Word.Concept virus is real. The rest are hoaxes
> designed to frighten you.

> Don't panic about a virus alert -- especially if you receive the
> alert on April Fool's Day. Visit http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org and
> http://Vmyths.com for more information about computer virus hoaxes.
> If a specific hoax plagues your organization, insert it in place of
> another alert in this list.

I have NEVER seen a message that said something like "send this to
everyone you know" that was valid.  Think first, act second.

George W. Bynum
Electrohydraulic Sales and Application Engineering
Greenville SC
864 322-6447 (voice)
gbynum@att.net (home)
gbynum@lhtech.com (work)

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take
orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze
a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal,
fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
Robert Heinlein