From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of Carolyn Gierke
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 8:07 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Sec. LMC Use

We have a great system here that was devised by our teachers.  In fact, it
works so well for the library that now it is being put to use throughout
the school.

Students are allowed to come to the library from study hall or after they
finish eating lunch, but to do so, they must have a pass from a teacher
who has assigned them work.   (math homework=math teacher, English, etc.)
This means that a study hall teacher cannot just let a bunch of kids out.
The same for the teachers monitoring the cafeterias.  Our teachers wanted
the library to be a place where kids could come to get work done.  The
only way to ensure that is to make sure everyone has work to do.

Students must plan ahead and get the pass before their study hall or lunch
time.  They go to study hall or the caf and present the pass to that
teacher, who also signs it.  Then they come in to the library and sign in
on our attendance sheet (Copies of this sheet go to the assistant
principal's office every night.  You'd be surprised how many people use
the "I was in the library" defense for skipping a class).  They have to
come in with work to do.  No locker passes (school-wide rule).  If
students do not work, we send them back to the study hall or caf.  Then I
take the original pass and give it back to the teacher who issued it,
letting them know the student didn't live up to his end of the bargain.
Then the teacher reads the riot act to the kid.  It's a nice system of
checks and balances.

It works because our teachers make it work.

If a student forgets to get a pass, or their teacher is absent, then they
come to me or my aide and we go through the negotiation and write the pass.

We do have kids talking and working in groups, but its not the blowing off
time kind of activity - you can tell the difference.  We've used this
system for at least 20 years, and it works very well.  The kids equate the
library with some type of work.  They can read magazines or for pleasure,
and use the computers, too.  But they can't waste time.  Really, with the
importance of their grades, none of them should have any time to waste.

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice.  In
practice, there is."  - Yogi Berra

Mrs. Carolyn Gierke,  Librarian
Sweet Home High School
1901 Sweet Home Road