My original target question asked how short story books were shelved.  The
following are answers I have compiled.  The nu=
mber indicates how many fall into this category. I have also added comments.

Although the highest number of answers fall into the totally separate section,
several of the respondents indicated that =
if they had time they would enter the individual stories and authors onto the MARC
record and then interfile them either =
in fiction or in the 800 section.

Filed together in a special story collection section: 13

I have added short story spine sticker below the call #---

I try to add the stories to the MARC record

We use the call number SC

Books by one author SC POE (e.g.). Compilations have SC and first three letters of
title. They are shelved separately at =
the end of fiction

In all three of the high school libraries I've worked in there was a separate
"Story Collection"  area where all short st=
ory books were
shelved,  regardless of whether there were multiple authors or if
the book was all  stories by one author (i.e. Edgar Allen Poe).
You need to do  what works for  your brain and your students! :) We also worked on
indexing all of the authors and storie=
s in the MARC records when there wasn't other cataloging and similar work to be
done. That of course was slow work, but i=
n the long  run I think it will be worth it!

They are shelved at the end of the fiction section and labeled SC.

In the marc record we add the author's name as a 700(?) and the title
 as a 740(?).

Filed together in a special story collection section EXCEPT for books
by one author: 9

We used Short Story Index and marked it with the collections we owned.
(compilations)
Another option would be to put them in the 813s (or is it 808 point
something if the authors are not all American?)

I shelve the books containing short stories by several authors on a separate  shelf
using SC -- for Story Collections -- =
instead of F for fiction in the  call number).

If all the stories are by the same author, shelve them in fiction with any other
works by that author. If the stories are=
 by different authors, shelve them in a separate section. I think according to
Dewey, they go in the 800s, but you might =
want to shelve them at the end of fiction. Either way, use a sign. You will find a
lot of students like short stories bec=
ause they are less intimidating.

We shelve story collections of single authors with fiction and the call number is
F. Collections  including stories by mo=
re than one author are shelved by themselves with the call number SC.  The SC
volumes have been completely indexed in our=
 catalog by author as well as story title.
Now we need to go back through the story collections in the Fiction
section and index those by story title. It will be a long-term project but
definitely worth it.

I file Short Story under "SC" call number at the end  of Fiction. If all stories
are by same author, I  file in Fiction w=
ith cross-reference in catalog. I  actually sat and typed in titles & authors at my
last  school ! It took all year.

Inter-filed in fiction: 7
When I took over here there was a short story section (call # SC xxx). It was the
section where good books went to die. =
The kids never even
looked in that section no  matter how much prodding I did. I have them all
inter-shelved in the fiction section now and t=
he books circulate more  frequently. As for finding individual stories, MARC
records make that  possible.

I inter-file the short stories with fiction, using author's name or
book name as the first 3 letters. I designate them "SC" (for story collection)
before the letters, and last year bought s=
tickers from
DEMCO to put on.

Our district librarian asked us to move them so all fiction and story
collections are inter-filed. Her reason is in prep for a union catalog,
but I  love it and I wish I'd thought of it years ago. Why not have Hemingway's
novels and short stories all together on =
the same shelf? It makes sense.

I inter-shelve the short stories but also put a red spot on the spot so
they are easily identified. I am slowly, but surely, adding to the MARC record. One
thing that has helped with the MARC  =
record is that I have taught my sub (I almost always have the same one) how to do
it. When
I have to be gone, that is the project she always works on. However, she only does
single  author collections, I do the o=
nes with multiple authors.

My theory for inter-shelving is that the fewer places patrons have to look ,
the easier the books are to find.

Susan Burstein
Portland Middle School
Portland, CT 06480