Thanks to everyone who sent me such great ideas!  Here
is a HIT of the responses I received:

We sent home a flyer with the outline of a star. We
asked each family to
write in the name of a family member who is or was a
veteran or person
currently in the military. It is to be cut out and
returned to school. They
were invited to cut and trace as many starts as they
wished. The stars will
be displayed on a bulletin board in our mailn hall way
with an appropriate
titel... Bullock School Salutes Our Veterans...
I had students in grades 4-6 interview a living veteran
relative, neighbor
or friend or research & write about a deceased veteran.
I then compiled them
into a book that we bound with the comb-type binders.  I
made three copies,
one for the elem library, one for the public library and
one for the local
VFW. The VFW  had given me a list of members, from which
students who didn't
know of could choose, if they wanted to participate.  I
had purchased a few
of the PoppyPuppy Beanie Babies and drew names from
those who turned in the
interviews.  Lots of parents and grandparents got really
involved in the
research  and even yet, it is frequently checked out of
the library. I
didn't clean up grammar or spelling, didn't really get
into the writing
process so much, just hgave the students an idea of some
of the questions I
wanted answered.  (i.e. nickname, date and age at time
of service, where
stationed, job duties, thoughts about war, serving ones
country, etc.)  We
had stories from every skirmish since the Civil War,
several POWs, several
who have no children/grandchildren, who really
appreciated the attention.
It was an inspiring assignment.
You could have classes compete in a patriotic door
decorating
contest.  Have your veteran visitors be the judges.
Patricia Munoz Ryan  has a book about the american flag
and what it
represents.
It is appropriate for Veteran's day - also the Poems IN
Flander's  Field
,  and  the one by Joyce kilmer -I 'll find it
We are having the third and fourth grade students sing
patriotic songs.
They are including songs from each war and era.  The
students will also be
wearing red, white and blue t-shirts that they painted
in Art class.  They
each brought in a white t-shirt, taped stripes and a
place for the stars.
They put on sticker stars in the area where the stars
are to be.  The then
painted the red stripes and the blue area.  When dry
they removed the tape
and start.  Each is unique, but similar.  They look
great.  I plan to take
pictures of the classes in their shirts and put them on
our website too.
I am going to send you an attachment of a project that
we are trying.  Actually, it is a takeoff of an idea I
spotted here on the listserv
about 2 years ago???  I am psyched, the papers are up by
every classroom,
all we need is to have the stars returned and glued onto
the red, white and
blue papers all over the school.  Since I teach on Fort
Carson, and must
cross thru a tank barrier each day to get to my school,
I think the project
has even more meaning.  The displays will remain up for
the whole month of
November.

We are well aware that most of the families at
Mountainside have a rich
tradition of military service to our country.  During
the month of November,
we would like to celebrate the contributions of our
family members by creating a tribute to these veterans,
both living and dead on the walls of Mountainside
Elementary. Please take time during the month of
November to dig deep into the roots of your family
tree.  When you find a family member who has served our
country, please write their name, their branch of
service and your student’s name on the stars attached to
this sheet.  Any other pertinent information can be
written on the star as well.  More stars can be obtained
at the library.
Please color the border of the star accordingly:
Active duty—color edge BLUE
Retired military—color edge RED
Veteran military—leave edge WHITE
Gave life for our country—color edge BLACK
Please cut out your stars and return them to the school
library.  If you have more than one child, this
information will need to be duplicated, so that each
child’s family is represented outside the different
classrooms.  Most importantly, discuss these family
members and their contributions to our country with your
children.  Celebrate the heroes in your own lives!
Thank you for your time and interest in your child’s
education.
We are having members of our VFW come and dedicate our
new flag pole and raise the flag.  I also hope to play a
powerpoint presentation across our
Video system.  The powerpoint is of the Lee Greenwood
song, God Bless the USA with photos to go with.
We are in a small town, so I'm not sure how this would
transfer, but for the
last several years we have had a program for the
community for Veteran's Day.
It's held in the morning for about an hour or hour and a
half.  The elementary
school makes decorations...one year it was "election
day" bunting, last year
flags assembled from students' hands traced and cut out
of red white and blue
paper and glued onto paper oblongs.

The high school chorus and band perform, and typically a
local veteran will give
a short address.  Last year a computer class put
together a PowerPoint of
historical photographs which was shown in the gym with
an LCD projector.

It's a lot of work for the teachers who organize it, but
it's been immensely
appreciated by the community, and has been a way to make
students aware of the
courage of their parents and grandparents who served in
the military.
Here in Central City we have a parade in town
each year to commemorate Veterans Day so we are
dismissed at noon that day.
Because of the parade, the kids are more aware of what
the holiday is
about.  One thing we do at our Middle School is have
taps played (usually
by the band teacher, echoed by a student) after we
recite the pledge
together.  The two people playing taps are located down
two separate halls
so the echo has more of an effect.  Classrooms just
leave their doors open
to hear it and everyone observes a moment of silence
while it is played.
************************************
We are doing a salute to the flag and vets with a
powerpoint presentation using
the song of Johnny Cash's "That ragged old Flag" as part
of a vet. program.
Last year the vets brought in old photos and I did a
powerpoint salute to them.
Hope this helps.
*************************************
I have done Veteran's day reading programs for many
years.  My
gandfather died in WWI fighting for the British and my
father served in
WWII and have 3 brothers in law that are Vietnam
veterans.  I am glad to
see tat the idea is spreading.
In Flanders fields is a poem by John McRae and you'll
find it in most
any poem anthology .  Flanders is in Belgium - where my
grandfather was
shot down and it is an easy to understand poem.  The
poet Joyce(a man)
Kilmer died in WWI-There are also some easy to
understand Vietnam
Memorial books too.
It was a tradition in my "old" school to give each child
an 8 1/2 x 11 paper with a star to color and two or
three lines at the bottom to fill in the name of a
relative who was a veteran and a few words about when
and where they served.  These lined the entrance hall
and were very popular with all who came in for the
patriotic sing along that was held on the day.
--
Brenda Young, LMS
Rosehill Elementary