This is taken from our website...Since so many are interested in food in the=
=20
library, I thought I would share this with LM_NET--feel free to distribute!

Jane/THE READ IN!=20
www.readin.org

This is found in the READ IN! Kids Area from the website:
*********************************

Hey, Kids!

Be creative in your snacking! Remember: we want you to read, and read all=20
kinds of literature, but books are to be cherished and respected for the=20
great joy they give. The next person to pick up that same book will want to=20
hold it and be able to read it without stickiness or gunk on its pages!=20
=20
We are suggesting that you can have fun reading and snacking, but please=20
treat your books with great respect. Watch the sticky stuff=E2=80=94keep a=20
napkin or paper towel handy and use it often! Wash your hands after you=20
finish your treat! Remember: don=E2=80=99t turn the pages with messy hands!
=20
How about eating or drinking:
=20
a peach while you read James and the Giant Peach=20

a giant cookie while you read Who Took the Cookies From the Cookie Jar?

a sundae while you read Onion Sundaes

a vanilla milkshake while you read Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The=
=20
Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance

a chocolate candy bar while you read Charlie and theChocolate Factory

a chocolate chip cookie while you read The Chocolate Touch

a slice or two of pizza while you read Pete's a Pizza

chocolate fudge while you read Fudge-A-Mania

an ice cream cone while you read Snowflake Bentley

a big bowl of buttered popcorn while you read Cam Jansen and the Mystery of=20
the Stolen Corn Popper

a fortune cookie or two while you read Fourth Floor Twins and the Fortune=20
Cookie Chase

a bowl of fried rice while you read A Truckload of Rice

a big slice of custard pie while you read The Great Custard Pie Panic

a bowl of cold macaroni salad while you read My Teacher Fried My Brains

a tall glass of green Gatorade while you read 'Gator Aid=20

a plate of scrambled eggs while you read Hello, My Name Is Scrambled Eggs

a few chilled celery stalks while you read The Celery Stalks at Midnight

a big peanut butter and jelly sandwich while you read Aldo Peanut Butter=20

a big, grilled hamburger with everything on it while you read Herbie Jones=20
and Hamburger Head =20

a hard boiled egg sandwich while you read Eggs in One Basket

a tossed salad with cucumber dressing while you read I'll Meet You at the=20
Cucumbers

a bowl of banana slices while you read Amos Goes Bananas

a slice of cherry pie while you read Mrs. Pepperpot Goes Berry Picking

a plate of pancakes and syrup while you read Vinegar Pancakes and Vanishing=20
Cream

a shiny, red apple while you read First Apple

a big hunk of apple crisp while you read The Space Ship Under the Apple Tree

a big glass of lemonade while you read Lemon and a Star

a grilled cheese sandwich while you read The Great Cheese Conspiracy

a big bowl of your favorite cereal while you read The Cereal Box Mystery

a tall Slurpee while you read The Mystery on the Ice

a plate of sweet and sour pork while you read Sweet and Sour Lily

a hot bowl of soup while you read Dragon Cauldron

a dish of chilled watermelon balls while you read Cool Melons--Turn to Frogs

a salad sprinkled with bleu cheesepieces while you read The Stinky Cheese Ma=
n=20

a piece of warm apple pie while you read Apple Bough

a steaming bowl of soup (minus rocks and stones, of course!) while you read=20
Stone Soup

an open faced hamburger plate whileyou read My Darling, My Hamburger
=20
a cup of chicken and rice soup while you read Chicken Soup with Rice=20

one or two buttermilk biscuits hot from the oven while you read Justin and=20
the Best Biscuits in the World=20

a bowl of icy cold strawberries while you read The First Strawberries=20
=20
a piece of blackberry cobbler while you read A Taste of Blackberries=20

a handful of candy corn while you read The Candy Corn Contest=20

a tall glass of chilled orange juice as you read Just Juice=20
 =20
a tart, tangy Granny Smith apple as you read Apple Is My Sign=20

a piece of warm pumpkin pie as you read BIG PUMPKIN=20

a tasty chicken leg while you read Chicken Sunday=20

a bowl of fruit salad while you read Each Peach Pear Plum
=20
a dish of blueberry buckle while you read Blueberries for Sal
=20
a slice of your favorite cake while you read Bunny Cakes=20

a glass of chocolate milk and Oreos while you read Milk and Cookies=20

a handful of peanuts while you read Nuts To You=20

a Girl Scout cookie or two while you read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
=20
a cup of hot soup (minus the mouse!) while you read Mouse Soup=20

an iced gingerbread cookie while you read The Gingerbread Man

a small bowl of pistachios while you read The Pistachio Prescription

a bowl of tangerine segments while you read Tangerine
=20
a very favorite sandwich while you read A Hero Ain't Nothing But a Sandwich=20

a slice of lemon meringue pie while you read Trouble With Lemons

a bowl of spaghetti or macaroni while you read Go Eat Worms!=20

a handful of M&M peanut candies while you read Beetles, Lightly Toasted

one or two BIG strawberries while you read Strawberries=20

=E2=80=A6. and create your ownsnack ideas---but,  READ! READ!! READ!!!=20
=20
Simpler snacks, but just as much fun, are:
=20

Bookworms (gummy worms)

Alphabet cereal (=E2=80=9CEat=E2=80=9D Your Words!)

Chocolate Fever (Hershey=E2=80=99s Kisses)

Green Eggs (Green jelly beans) and Ham (a few slices of ham on a plate)

Freckle Juice (Fruit juice)=20

Or, get REALLY creative and make a READ IN! special treat found on our=20
website:
=20
Try our cookies or bookworm cupcakes! Or, make individual cakes to spell out=
=20
THE READ IN!, the name of your favorite author, or the name of your favorite=
=20
book.
=20
Invite your friends in for an afternoon reading celebration! (With your=20
parents=E2=80=99 permission ofcourse!) Turn off the video games and the tv a=
nd READ!

Jane Coffey
THE READ IN!
www.readin.org