Dawn---

        While I applaud your line of thinking about the public library
hosting a movie "reward" after school hours, in many districts the
transportation and parental consent logistics could prove to be the immovable
barrier.  Additionally, right after school is the time most students in my
district are scheduled for music and dance lessons, dentist appointments,
sports practices,etc. Another large segment of our population in my building
and at the Gr. 3-6 level go directly to after-school care programs that could
not pick up the children when the program is over.

     We had a very nice after-school book club at the public library here a
few years ago, but once our school budget tightened again and there was no
transportation to the library via a school bus, there were not enough
students to maintain a program.

     Keep rolling the idea around Dawn... It has a lot of merit if the
logistics would work.

      As an aside, while I agree with Carol and others about the over-use of
videos, etc. I respectfully disagree about the impact of  losing the last of
Friday afternoon for curriculum work.  In my building, I can assure you that
pushing 5,6, & 7 year olds to do work of any significance after 2 pm on a
Friday is usually unproductive. Some of our kids are on a bus or in day-care
from 6:30 am.
    In our elementary building where I have two children, I have gradually
seen almost every single activity that children often  view as a little
reward (lunch, gym, recess,) slashed in the name of "standards" and
"curriculum"  Our children's lunch period was decreased again to 20
minutes... It often takes 10-15 to get through the lunch-line.  Recess
consists of the teacher taking a longer walking route back to class after
lunch. Gym was cut to twice a week.
         The feeling of tension during the state Math & Language Arts test
weeks was palpable.  My straight "A" 10 year old made herself sick to her
stomach over these tests.
      Violating copyright by showing entertainment videos and abandoning all
teaching on Friday afternoon is not acceptable. But these children do need
some kind of "break" from the constant crack of the curriculum whip.  I never
realized how much we are doing to our kids until I had to teach a friend of
my then 6 year old daughter how to play.  My daughter picked up dolls and
stuffed animals and made them talk and the other little girl looked at her
amazed and said, "How do you know what they are going to say..   OK  off my
soapbox now.

Sandi

Sandra L.Priest-Ploetz, Librarian
GLP Primary School, Eden Central Schools
Eden, New York
EPLOETZ195@aol.com

On  Sat, 8 Sep 2001 09:56:22 EDT
Dawn Sardes wrote.........

I SO agree that school is NOT the appropriate place to show "reward" movies
due to the fact the time/fitting in all the content factor.

BUT, I have purchased the Movie Licensing, Inc. site license for my PUBLIC
LIBRARY.  I'm thinking that maybe your teachers could request specific films
to be shown AFTER school at the public library for curriculum support, extra
credit, rewards, etc.

I know that I would be thrilled to help out.  My only concern is if a
specific movie, such as Glory (R Rating due to violence of topic) is
requested, I would prefer an informed parental permission slip.  Although our
library does not prohibit children from checking out R rated videos if their
parent has allowed them to have an adult card.  I also would be agreeable to
allowing parents to attend with the children if they want.  Heck, it may even
spur...gasp...family discussion.

We could print up coupons/entry tickets to be handed out to a specific class,
group, whatever.

Maybe check with your local library and see if they have a site license.  If
not, ask if they'd be willing to buy one.

So, what do you think?  Good idea or have I been hanging around my
pea-brained cats too much?