Dear LMNetters:

For two years, some students have come to the library with a scribbled
pass or an official library pass with read a book marked.  But, when
I talk to them, I find out that they are there because they are doing
nothing in the classroom, and the teacher sent them just to get them
out of the room.  Next year, I will be viscous about the passes - they
have to come with an official library pass.  Students without one will
be sent back to the room immediately.  I thought a "nice" way to stop
some of the "dumping" would be to give the teachers a list of good reasons
to send students to the library.  I copied the following reasons from
Creative Partnerships: Librarians and Teachers Working Together by Lesley
Farmer:

 Write an evaluation of a magazine article in your subject.
 Look through the videos and make a list of items you could use in your
class.
 Use our “cut up” magazines to find materials for a bulleting board.
 Find books that can be used by other students in your class.
 Check out a book to read for recreational reading.
 Take a test he/she has missed.
 Study for a test while your students are going over the test the student
missed.
 Do remedial or supplementary work on PLATO (check to make sure the student’s
name is on the program BEFORE you send him/her to do this)
 Make up a crossword puzzle or word search game for the class.
 Do research

Do you think giving a list is a good idea/will work?  Also, what other
reasons would you add to this list?
TIA and I will post a HIT if there is enough interest...

Sincerely,
Susan Myers

--
Susan Myers