Thanks for all the suggestions for a read loud for an 8th grade ADHD resource
class -- I'm sure the teacher will find some good ones here!

Terri

-----------
Maybe No More Dead Dogs or Harris and Me by Paulsen
-----------
Although I've never done these books as read alouds, I have booktalked them
and even got waiting lists. Paul Zindel has a few books that are a bit scary
and creepy and many of my boy reluctant readers can't get enough.

Reef of Death
Rats
Raptor
Bats
Loch
Doom Stone
-----------
Reef of Death is my personal favorite.  It has fairly short chapters that
end on a cliffhanger. very much in the fashion of a Goosebumps but more
"grown up". <G>
-----------
Consider one of these three books:

"Forged by Fire"  by Sharon Draper  -- Deals with abuse issues, but very
tastefully.  This book gets students' attention from page one and keeps it
all the way through.  I read this aloud to my eighth graders every year near
the end of the year when spring fever is well underway and they BEG for it
until we finish.  This would really be my first recommendation, but the next
two books are also big hits with our eight graders.

"Nightjohn" by Gary Paulsen -- I use this one as our first class novel of
the year.  The vocabulary is not difficult, but it is as first person
narrative of a slave girl, so it takes a little adjusting for some students.
It's only about 100 pages and most of my students read ahead and finish it
before I want them to!  A few scenes are a bit graphic (gory) but the kids
love it!

"Touching Spirit Bear" by Ben Mikaelsen   --  We read this one for the first
time this year.  It also grabs the students' attention right away.  It's
about a juvenile deliquent who is given the opportunity to live on an island
in Alaska rather than serve jail time.  Many students said it's the best
book they ever read.
-----------
I would recommend Holes by Louis Sachar, or Redwall by Brian Jacques.
-----------
Joey Pigza would definitely appeal to them.

-----------
I know this book is listed among the elementary ones, but how 'bout Tough
Cookie?
It was on the 2001-02 Virginia Young Reader list, but the older kids are more
likely to get the humor than the little guys are.
-----------
Highly recommend Paul Zindel's "Pigman".  Awesome book about trouble teens
with some great opportunities for discussions.  My son says "all
thumbs up"!!!
-----------
How about "Joey Pigza Swallowed A Key"  (I forget the author) It is also
well-done by the author on audio tape. Joey Pigza is a boy with ADHD and this
book definitely hooks the reader from the start. Best of luck.
-----------
a little controversial--she should read it first, but my very favorite book
for grabbing the reader's attention right away is "A Day No Pigs Would
Die".
-----------
Has she read a book called "Tangerine"?  It's about a boy who has a slight
sight problem, lots of family dynamic issues and action which causes lots of
visuals for the reader or listener.
-----------
How about "Holes." I read that to 8th graders and they were captivated.
-----------
How about Joey Pigza Swallows the key?  It is about a kid with ADHD and has
some funny, energetic scenes that should capture an MS class even it if is
written for kids slightly younger.  I like this first Joey Pigza better
than the award winning second one.  In the same light you try Jack Gantos
semi-autobiographical tales in Jack on the Tracks.
-----------
Try:  No More Dead Dogs by Korman.  It's a hoot.  When I taught 8th grade
English, I always read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Robinson.  The key
is to ham it up.  They LOVED it.  Hope this helps.
-----------
I think Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key by Jack Gantos
would be perfect.  It's hilarious, yet touching as
well--the main character actually has ADHD.  It could
spark some great discussions.  As a teacher reading
it, it really made me think about what it's like to
have ADHD.  There is also a sequel--Joey Pigza Loses
Control.  It's great, too, but the first one is my
favorite.  Even though the main character is in 4th
grade, I've had middle school and early high school
kids love it.
-----------
Other ideas:  Christopher Paul Curtis Books --Bud Not Buddy or Watsons go to
Birmingham.
-----------
Richard Peck's A Long Way from Chicago.
-----------
Two suggestions that I've had success with:  Holes (Louis Sachar) and
Space Station Seventh Grade (Jerry Spinelli I *think*). The latter she
will definitely want to read first, though, because while it will "hook"
them it's *very* seventh grade... there were some passages that I had my
kids read silently (more so they knew those topics were things you did
not talk about in class... and with the stern admonition that if they
weren't mature enough to handle the humor then we'd switch books
pronto).  I had a group of boys and I'm not sure I"d have read it with a
mixed group.
   Some other ideas for books are on
http://www.resourceroom.net/Comprehension/bookreviews.htm (_Freak the
MIghty_ is another good one -- fairly short, and about a kid with LD
though that's not the focus of the story). _NIght of the Twisters_ is a
good fast-paced story, too.  And then there's Harry Potter...
   I've done the middle school resource thing -- and in taking some
technology courses I've put a lot of what I did online (they were
screaming to get out of my file cabinet).  Please direct her to the
http://www.resourceroom.net/Comprehension/index.asp for lots of
activities.
-----------
Among the Hidden by Haddix is a wonderful choice.
My personal favorite is Harris and Me by Paulsen,
but many times they have already read this.
-----------
Crossroads, by Paul Pitts
Holes, by L. Sachar
Because of Winn Dixie
Maniac Magee, by J. Spinelli
Hatchet, by G. Paulsen  (this has several sequels -- good way to hook
your "reluctant" readers.
-----------
Anything by Lemony Snicket
-----------
I would recommend SMALL STEPS the year I had polio by Peg Kehret.  I never
had a student who did not love this heartwarming book.  It shows how Peg had
to overcome being paralyzed and her friendships with the girls in her
hospital room. I think it would inspire Resource kids of all ages, no matter
what their obstacle. It would also be a good way for each student to do a
small poster on whatever their handicap is. I usually have my kids research
different diseases...why do we have polio shots, what is diptheria, whooping
cough, etc.  My daughter has Lupus so I have shared her illness. I also had a
polio survivor come and talk with the kids.  This book leads to many, many
discussions.  You will not be disappointed.
-----------
A good read aloud would be Joey Pigza Loses the Key, about a boy who has
ADHD.
-----------
Try the novel Joey Pigza loses control and Joey Pigaza swallowed a key by
Jack Gantos
-----------
In the past I have taught middle school special education, and the kids loved
Gary Paulsen books, I do too!  Hatchet is a great book. It is about a boy
that is in a plane crash and has to survive for several months out in the
wilderness.  It has a sequel The River, another book was written with the
situation that the boy was not found called Brian's Winter, there is also
Brian's Return.  You personally get to know Brian Robison in these books.  I
loved them all.  Gary Paulsen also has written many, many more other good
books for that age.  We have several kids at our elementary that has read our
whole collection of his writings.
-----------
The Joey Pigza books are a hit with kids, and I think that 8th graders would
love them.  by Gantos I think.

Terri Lent
Librarian
Patrick Henry High School
Ashland, Va.
tlent@aol.com
Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day
makes the day happier.
Kathleen Norris