Our newspaper has a Community Events column each week where the public =
library
lists the themes, times, etc. for Story Hour at the local branches. The =
paper also has a special section late each spring where all the upcoming =
summer events are listed and touted by their sponsors.  There is always a =
nice article on the Summer Reading Program and all the events it offers.

****************
Why not use your library resources to integrate technology into the lesson =
and use the library that way.  Assign the students to go online to =
research a newspaper or article.   All major newspapers now have websites =
and students need to be introduced to a "nonprint" newspaper too. (The =
Washington Post and L.A. Times are both good.)  You could have the =
students do a comparison/contrast task between the traditional print and =
nonprint newspaper using criteria that you establish.  Perhaps they could =
analyze the advantages/disadvantages of each or contrast the kind of =
columns that appear in each, etc. You can also work the BIG 6 into this =
assignment because you are teaching them how to access and locate =
different kind of sources. =20

****************
I don't know if this would work... but coming from a household with a =
Newspaper Reporter and a librarian and the fact that I did my last MLS =
project analyzing the Archive Database for my husband's paper.... this =
thought occurred to me for a lesson.

Usually when we go searching for articles when we type in keywords to try =
to find just the subject we are looking for....  It might be helpful as =
you and the teacher are teaching the sections of the paper to have =
students try to brainstorm in separate groups about 3 keywords they would =
enter if they were in charge of archiving this article so others could use =
it in the future.  The would find that what one group thinks is a =
perfectly logical=20
category for one article.... another group wouldn't have thought of at =
all......  Or an article discussing say a pro football player convicted on =
gambling charges......  Is that really a Sports article or would it be =
better "placed" with articles on gambling or articles on Crimes and Courts =
or Famous People.....etc. This "backwards" thinking might make them =
stronger searchers if it is framed correctly........  The newspaper =
librarian I interviewed says creating subject fields for the articles he =
enters is often one of the most difficult=20
tasks...... Just off the top of my head.... Hope it generates some ideas =
for you...=20
It's so great to have teachers who want to work with you.

*****************
Give students guidelines on how to determine if a website is valuable for =
their research. Try the websites of Nueva School and Kathy Schrock and =
Classroom Connect for web evaluation information.

Encourage the students to be sleuths in figuring out who is giving good
information and who is not. A good reporter wants to be accurate, etc.

Go to the AOL home page and search for their article about propaganda =
techniques. Use lii.org also. I have a WWII book showing posters from all =
sides of the conflict.  Discuss good and bad propaganda and stereotyping =
of enemies.  Such a discussion has a timely element to it, also.  Recent =
magazines will have pertinent articles, pictures.

Show them a facsimile of the "Dewey Wins" newspaper that Truman proudly =
displays. The picture is in any good book about the American century.

Immediately after the Bay Area earthquake of 1989, newspapers reported =
hundreds of deaths in the collapse of a freeway. A facsimile of the SF =
Chronicle from that time would be a great resource. The paper made a best =
guess, but they were inaccurate.   Here is a good example of how a primary =
source must be understood correctly.  Such a source is not automatically =
correct.

Some of these ideas may not occur to the teacher, and o you c