Last November, I asked the following:
=09
"Dear wonderful group,
        I have a teacher who has asked me to work with him on a Newspaper =
Lesson. He wants the students to learn all of the different sections and =
parts. He admits himself that this is a lesson that he could do only in =
the classroom, but he wants to give them more exposure to the library, so =
he would like me to include something library-related to the lesson. He's =
one of my excellent library supporters so I don't want to let him down =
but=20
I can't really think of anything "library specific."  Any suggestions? =
TIA"

I had many requests for a hit; sorry it took so long, but hopefully it =
will help someone. (By the way, he changed his mind about doing a lesson, =
but that was strictly a time issue.)

Nina Jackson
Franklin MS (6-8)
Long Beach, CA
njackson@lbusd.k12.ca.us

In literature as in love, we are astonished at what is chosen by others.--A=
ndre Maurois

Books invite all; they constrain none.--Inscription at the Los Angeles =
Public Library
Aren't a good many newspapers on-line now (not always full-text)...?

*****************
You can use a newspaper really easily and child friendly to go over the =
research process once again: Say you're looking to go to a movie.  You =
could brainstorm with other kids for ideas but go to the newspaper, use =
the table of contents, find the reviews, read/scan them, look to see where =
playing and what times and then based on reviews, location and times make =
your decision.=20

Teach the table of content and the Masthead (is that what it's called on a =
newspaper?) which shows the publisher, etc.

Look at reading ads.  Which are clearer, which include more facts  Which =
appeal just to senses or emotions?

I believe that several of the questions on the STAR test do have to do =
with interpreting newspapers.  That was a few years ago, so it might have =
changed. =20

****************
Our English teacher uses the graphs and charts in USA Today for a nice =
lesson related to our ELA standards.  She has the kids select any graph or =
chart that appeals to them.  They have to write out 5 things they learned =
from the chart.  They have to write a complete sentence about the lowest =
fact on the chart, and another about the highest.  Then they have to write =
a new sentence combining the two facts and explaining the difference
between them (eg.-- 48% of those surveyed will travel by air this weekend, =
but 70% will go by car). Then the kids write down as many keywords as they =
can get from the chart.

They come in to the library to use the online databases to locate a full =
text article on the same topic as the chart (we use the topic as a target, =
not an exact match).  From information on the chart, the worksheet and the =
article, students have to write a new essay on the topic.

This is one of the tasks on our ELA Regents exam in Grade 11.  It sounds =
long and involved, but it really is a short, slick assignment.  Some kids =
are able to locate articles in the newspaper without using databases. =
That's OK too.

****************
Just an idea...do you have anything available on biographies of famous =
newspaper owners or maybe reporters? Will he do anything about how to =
contact a newspaper if you might like to do a letter to the editor?  Or, =
in the more mundane, what about actually subscribing or changing delivery =
dates for vacations and the like?

I know that I've included where the newspapers (current and archived) are =
housed, how long we keep the newspapers in the Library (before they are =
recycled), how to find publishing information (i.e. publisher, printed =
where, how often it's printed, etc.), how to find the bibliographic =
information and how to write the bibliogrphic re