Thanks to all who responded to my request for books about foster care that
can be used as "biblio-therapy" with a sixth grade student.  The titles that
were recommended the most were _The Pinballs_ by Byars and _The Great Gilly
Hopkins_ by Paterson.

I compiled all the responses into one list and deleted duplicates.

Thanks again for all your help!
Amy

Books about Foster Care, Abuse, Abandonment & Fitting In

The Great Gilly Hopkins (Paterson);
Won't Know 'Til I Get There (Walter Dean Myers);
Onion Tears (D. Kidd);
The Pinballs (Betsy Byars)
The Lottery Rose (Irene Hunt)-
Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff
Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons
For Honey by Bonnie Highsmith
Somebody somewhere knows my name / by Linda Lowery ; illustrated by John
Eric Karpinski. Minneapolis, Minn. : Carolrhoda Books, c1995. Two children
are abandoned by the roadside and taken to a shelter for children.

Don't hurt Laurie! / Willo Davis Roberts ; drawings by Ruth Sanderson. New
York : Macmillan, 1988, c1977. Laurie is physically abused by her mother.

Laurie Tells/ Linda Lowery ; illustrated by John Eric Karpinski. Minneapolis
: Carolrhoda, 1994.
Laurie is sexually abused by her father, finally tells her aunt.

Happily after all / Laura C. Stevenson. Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1990.
When her father dies, ten-year-old Rebecca is sent to live with the mother
she's been brought up to believe had abandoned her and, through a growing
relationship with a troubled foster child, begins to accept her mother and
some of the truths her father had always kept from her.

Heads, I win / by Patricia Hermes ; illustrated by Carol Newsom. San Diego :
Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1988. In this sequel to "Kevin Corbett Eats
Flies," Bailey runs for class president hoping that popularity will secure
her place in her current foster home.

Speak is a good book about a girl who suffers after a rape at a party, while
some parts are disturbing it has a wonderful message and is liked by our
middle schoolers.
A Child Called It is a good book. One of my students who was abandoned and
finally put in foster care loves this book and others by the same author
Cracker Jackson.
Don't You Dare Read This, Mrs. Dunphrey-about neglect, but not graphic, easy
to read
National Parks mystery series by Gloria Skurzinski-the main characters are
foster children
Define "Normal" by Julie Anne Peters.
Bud, not Buddy - Curtis
Caught in the Act
A Dangerous Promise
A Family Apart
A Place to Belong written by Joan Lowery Nixon
Double Play at Short -- Matt Christopher
Find a Stranger, Say Goodbye -- Lois Lowry
Have You Seen Me -- Martha Williamson
Heaven -- Angela Johnson
Her Own Song -- Ellen Howard
Molly By Any Other Name -- Jean Daview Okimoto
Mysterious Love -- Shirley Brinkerhoff
Rewind -- William Sleator
Whale Talk -- Chris Crutcher
What My Sister Remembered -- Marilyn Sachs
Why Me? -- Deborah Kent
The Grave -- James Heneghan
The Maze -- Will Hobbs
The Promised Land -- Isabelle Holland
Team picture / by Dean Hughes.
Emma's yucky brother / story by Jean Little ; pictures by Jennifer Plecas.
It's so amazing! : a book about eggs, sperm, birth, babies, and families /
Robie H. Harris ; illustrated by Michael Emberley.
Cooney's _What Child Is This?_
Jason's Story: Going to a Foster Home/Anderson and Finne
Zachary's New Home: A Story of Foster and Adopted Children/Blomquist.
Finding Fish by Antwone Qwenton Fisher
Of course, there are always the Pelzer books
Because of Winn-Dixie (not foster care, but the feeling of wanting to fit
in) / DiCamillo

Amy Shuter
Librarian
Hebrew Academy of Nassau County