A couple of weeks ago, I requested information from you guys about duties
for library workers.  This is my first year as a librarian (I'm at a 7-8
campus) and I have been assigned anywhere from 1 to 4 library workers each
period.  Normally, we only have 2 in the library each period, but due to
school realignments, the counselors needed to place an unusually high number
of students in office workers positions (due to class size limits in other
areas).  So basically, I got a bunch of workers.  I wish I had been able to
take part in that decision;  I do plan on being very active next semester
when the workers are chosen for next year.  If any of you are involved in
choosing your workers, please let me know how that works.  I'd like some
good ammunition to take to our counselors and principal when I start making
my case.
Now, I had several requests to pass along the information I received from
you guys, so here is a list of some of the duties that library workers
perform:
*check assigned shelves for out-of-place books, to keep in order
* do bulletin boards, window displays
* read books and do book talks
* straighten chairs, tables
* deliveries
* check books for repairs and do repairs
* shelve books
* dust
*fill printers with paper
* create lists of books for different subjects
*take money for fines and record that it was paid
*clean up after classes leave
*stamp cards for the next day
*grade each other's shelves

I plan on implementing many of these as basic procedures next semester.
Unfortunately, there was so much I had to do when school started this year
that I fell short in my training.  I appreciate all the ideas you guys
passed along to me.  This list-serv has been invaluable to me as a first
year!!!

Nancy J. Allen
Librarian
Angleton Intermediate School