I am the Media Librarian at Orange-Ulster Board of Cooperative Education
Services (much like a regional center for K12 schools).  I am responsible
for previewing, selecting, and rating our media collection.  We have a
very
limited number of R rated titles.  One that we do have is Glory, which
many
teachers use to illustrate the harshness of the Civil War.  On those R and
PG13 rated titles, we include a nice statement that reminds the teachers
preview the materials before showing them to their class.  And that the
titles might contain material that is unsuitable for an immature class.
We
do not use the G, PG, - R rating system in our catalog.  We have divided
the titles into:

      P     Primary  (K-2)
      I     Intermediate (3-5)
      J     Junior High (6-8)
      S     Senior High (9-12)
      T/P   Teacher/Professional

I would say that the majority (95%) are educational titles only.  We
normally do not purchase entertainment videos.

Our policy is the same as our board's Policy on Materials selection -
which is the ALA policy.

However, we have a policy on purchasing videos that  ties the purchase to
a teacher previewing the material and we have a nice little for for the
preview.  If you would like a copy of it, send me your complete mailing
address or FAX number and I will send it out to you.

Our students are not allowed to view R rated movies at all, not even
excerpts.  We must follow the age guidelines on the videos.

Here are the hits about the school system policy for buying commercial
videos and labeling them in a central school system catalog for age
appropriateness.
Our policy is supposedly that anything that is PG-13 (or worse) requires a
parent permission slip.  I do know of a teacher who showed Glory (R) with
permission slips.  That movie is one that is available edited.  I don't
know
if all our teachers are aware of the policy or the fact that edited
versions
are available for purchase.  Our district does not purchase
theatrical-type
videos. I also know of teachers who have fast-forwarded past things as
well,
and many who break copyright.

Cheryl B. Adams
Media Generalist
Patuxent High School
Lusby, MD 20657
adamsc@calvertnet.k12.md.us

This message has been scanned by F-Secure Anti-Virus for Microsoft
Exchange.